Claim Adjuster - Personal Lines Casualty
- Career Level
- Experienced (Non-Manager)
SUMMARY & KEY RESPONSIBILITIES:
Handles personal lines casualty claims involving coverage, liability issues, and moderate to severe damages. Will be involved with complex litigated files.
- Claims Adjuster Determines policy status and coverage; reviews appropriate forms for coverage, limits and deductibles; immediately notify supervisor of any claim that may be outside of assigned scope of handling level or authority.
- Claims Adjuster Makes prompt contact with insureds, claimants and witnesses involved in the loss.
- Claims Adjuster Conducts investigation necessary to determine liability, including recorded statements. Reviews any estimates or receipts for consistency with description of loss as well as appropriate scope and pricing. Identifies any legal liability issues and consults with manager.
- Claims Adjuster Ensures regular and timely follow-up and brings claims to prompt and appropriate conclusion.
- Claims Adjuster Evaluates and settlse bodily injury, liability, business interruption, or structural claims independently with little to no input from manager.
- Claims Adjuster Maintains electronic records that accurately and thoroughly document all file handling activity.
- May be called upon to perform additional duties as directed.
- Minimum of 5 years of related professional experience in P&C Insurance. Post-secondary education preferred.
- Communication and Collaboration Skills:
- Professional oral and written communication skills are critical to the success of this position. All claims service must be handled with tact, diplomacy and courtesy at all times.
- Must be able to collaborate and develop strong team relationships with associates from within and outside the Claims Department.
- Must have comprehensive knowledge and understanding of insurance policies and endorsements, as well as the ability to understand complex documents, contracts, and other legal documents.
- Gather facts and draw conclusions, interpret complex requirements/issues and work independently. The individual must be able to identify and implement key opportunities while researching potential solutions.
State Auto offers a competitive salary, an annual bonus program, an excellent benefits program including medical, dental, vision and prescription insurance coverage, life insurance, matching 401(k) plan, flexible spending accounts, tuition assistance, and a stock purchase plan.
State Auto is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all associates and applicants and to providing associates with a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions (hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, training and work assignments) are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. State Auto will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
State Auto is a smoke-free work environment. We utilize drug screening and background checks as conditions of employment. For all exempt positions we also obtain motor vehicle reports (MVR s).
State Auto will not accept candidates from third-party recruiters without a signed agreement with State Auto.