Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Under general supervision, responsible for the production and retention of a profitable book of business within an assigned territory that is consistent with overall Bond and Specialty Insurance/Business Unit strategies and objectives. This role does not manage others.
The Bond and Specialty Insurance division of Travelers is seeking to add an experienced Account Executive (Underwriter) to our Cyber Underwriting team. This is an opportunity to join a successful, dedicated, and collaborative team of underwriters in a highly visible and challenging role. Account Executives (Underwriters) have the opportunity to build a unique and rewarding career at an Industry leader within a highly specialized niche of the Insurance Industry.
Underwriting on the Cyber Team is a dynamic blend of the following:
- Financial analysis/risk assessment: gather and analyze pertinent information in order to evaluate the acceptability of business risk within assigned book of business
- Marketing: build and maintain relationships with agents, brokers, and insured clients to help achieve business goals
- New business development and retention: sell to, negotiate with, and influence agents and brokers to manage a profitable book of business
- Manage a high quality, diverse, and complex customer base across multiple industries
- Partner with other high performing underwriters, senior leadership, and a highly specialized internal Claim organization to execute business unit underwriting strategy
- Design, develop, and implement a broker/agency sales and marketing plan specific to assigned territory
- Leverage Industry leading product expertise and data analytics to identify new business opportunities
- Benefit from cross sell opportunities and established relationships within other Travelers' business units
- Develop personally and professionally through experiences, coaching, active management support, and a wide variety of career development resources
- Experience Travelers' unique culture which is collaborative, supportive, and values the need to balance work and life
- Lawsuits, cyber-attacks, and extortion can impact a company's financial performance and reputation. Cyber Liability provides financial protection to companies for these exposures and many more. Products include Cyber Risk Insurance and Errors & Omissions Liability coverage.
- Underwriters in this fast growing segment will work with different types of companies: Publically traded corporations, Financial Institutions and Private and Non-Profit entities.
- The underwriting process may involve complex financial and stock analysis as well as client meetings with senior management across all industries.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
General Responsibilities: Underwriting new and renewal business. Building and maintaining productive relationships with agents and brokers. Consistently achieving budgeted financial results. Collaborating with BU and region colleagues as well as internal/external business associates. Sales, agency development and management. Underwriting & Pricing: Underwrites and assesses risk for small to mid-size renewals and new business items in conjunction with BU strategies. May underwrite larger renewals. Considers different approaches toward risks to maximize profitability. Makes appropriate decisions within own underwriting authority. Underwrites moderately complex-to-complex accounts/risks. Manages the submission and underwriting process for own agency plant, working with more experienced underwriters if outside authority. Can easily articulate whether or not account is within or outside underwriting appetite/strategy, along with the reasons for that determination. Independently sets account strategy, occasionally partners with AEO or MD to set account strategy. Makes recommendations to underwriter 2, as appropriate. For P & C, may act as an Underwriter 2 for Processing and Underwriting Procedures for Small Accounts (PUPS). May input financials and is able to calculate key ratios and more complex financial metrics, drawing conclusions about the financial health of an account. In addition to, or in lieu of, financials, may review other key metrics; makes decisions regarding pricing, capacity, terms and conditions based on those analyses on complex accounts. Proactively collaborates with regional and Home Office underwriters Maintains accurate underwriting documentation and information. Meets quality assurance standards May act as a Region or industry resident expert. Underwriting Operations: Manages flow of new and renewal business. Agency Management/Relationship: Lead or participate in agency training sessions. May be sought out by broker/agent for his/her expertise regarding industry and local issues. Primary agency or broker relationship is producer / internal broker. Sales Management/Marketing: Leverages agent/broker relationships to drive new business opportunities via existing relationships as well as where there is no existing relationship; continually prospects for new opportunities. Achieves and/or surpasses agency/broker visibility goals. Acts as a business partner to agents and brokers. Uses strong negotiation skills and deep product knowledge to meet the needs of the account. Develops agency plant sales/business plan. Sales activities should include some of the larger and more important agency/brokers/clients. Participates in, and may lead, underwriting/agency meetings. Actively contributes in Region and/or Business Unit sales meetings. Regularly attends agency/broker events and/or industry functions. Takes the initiative to partner with colleagues in other Bond and Specialty Insurance or Travelers BUs to cross sell all Travelers products. Is able to utilize analytics and tools to assist in the sale and pricing (if applicable) of accounts. Other duties as assigned.
A minimum of 2 years of underwriting experience is required. A current/valid drivers license is required.
Education, Work Experience & Knowledge
3-6 years of underwriting experience preferred. Bachelor degree preferred. Industry Knowledge: Understands the local insurance marketplace, industry business operations, critical issues and financial drivers that affect the BU, region and local office. Is able to apply that understanding to the sales plan, pricing strategy and underwriting strategy. Continuously seeks out market insight from others and uses acquired knowledge to assist less experienced employees. Product Knowledge: Knowledge of BU products/coverages and pricing and the linkages to strategy and can easily explain them to others. Understands organizational and regulatory rules, policies and procedures and effectively employs that knowledge in day-to-day work.
Job Specific & Technical Skills & Competencies
Able to proficiently use all Bond and Specialty Insurance technology tools. Can negotiate skillfully in routine situations. Able to gain the trust of others quickly. Takes ownership and responsibility for actions and outcomes, performance and results. Can identify current or future problems or opportunities; able to analyze, synthesize and compare information to understand issues; able to identify cause/effect relationships and can explore alternative solutions to support sound decision making. Able to remain energized and focused in the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous demands. Demonstrates effective verbal, written and listening communication skills. Can provide service excellence to internal or external clients. Able to exercise sound judgment, make decisions and commit to a position. Has the ability to work with and include people from different backgrounds, experiences, cultures, races, etc. and views those differences as assets to be leveraged to accomplish business goals and objectives. Can seek out, build, foster and maintain productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results. Can work with others in situations where a team is mutually responsible to produce a result. Can takes ideas different from own seriously; able to share responsibility and collaborate with others; accepts criticism well. Able to self-reflect on strengths and weaknesses and is willing to improve. Can seek out experiences that may change perspective or provide an opportunity to learn new things. Can act as a role model for employees and keeps a positive attitude. Acts in accordance with stated values; follows through on promises; uses ethical considerations to guide decisions and actions.
The position does require the ability to travel for agent/broker interaction and client meetings. Travel 15-20% of time.
Operates standard office equipment. Requires extended periods of computer use. Requires extended periods of sitting.
Licensing or Certificates
A current/valid drivers license is required.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this position please CLICK HERE