Claims Adjuster - Property
This position requires an experienced property adjuster to use their skills to manage a portfolio of claims from first notice of loss through to final resolution. The position requires a blend of phone, desk, and independent adjuster assigned case management. This will include speaking with agents and customers, as well as other claim-related parties to understand and resolve property claims. Producing correspondence, issuing settlement checks and position letters. ‘
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Examine new loss reports and determine the appropriate method for investigating/determining coverage and evaluating damage.
- Assign claims to the appropriate subject matter expert(s) (e.g. staff, independent adjuster, mitigation contractor, contractor, engineer, other).
- Set reserves in accordance with SLA’s and authorize requests for payment.
- Handle customer and agent relationships effectively utilizing sound communication skills that are empathetic, compassionate, knowledgeable and professional. Communicate regularly and effectively with customers.
- Identify potential for subrogation opportunities on all files, as well as handle subrogation demands for settlement or arbitration made against the company from adverse carriers.
- Make subrogation assignment to NBIC’s recovery vendor.
- Negotiate claim settlements and recommend arbitration / litigation when settlement cannot be fairly achieved
- Audit, correct and resolve discrepancies in coverage interpretation as well as damage evaluation.
- Assist with catastrophe duties as required.
- Flexibility to travel for up to four weeks at a time and handle field related claim activities if the need arises.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SPECIAL SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s Degree plus 5 years of experience required.
- Minimum of 5 years of property claims handling experience to include coverage determination as well as dwelling and contents damage appraisals.
- CPCU, SCLA, AIC or other appropriate designation preferred.
- Personal property insurance education/experience preferred.
- Independent adjuster’s license and state required licensing required.
- Construction experience and knowledge of building trades preferred.
- Proficiency with Xactimate or Symbility estimating software is preferred.
- Experience in interpreting ISO HO and DP policy forms and endorsements; and explaining coverage benefits to policyholders and agents.
- Strong written and verbal skills – the ability to listen to, understand, and express information and ideas clearly and succinctly.
- Strong analytical and mathematical abilities.
- A demonstrated record of success in handling medium to complex property claims to conclusion.
- Skilled in the use of computers for data processing and communications.