Junior Commercial Underwriter
- Career Level
- Not Specified
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field cant be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. Youll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers lives. Well help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, youll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And youll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Job Family Summary
The Commercial Lines team acts as an intermediary between the agent and the insurance company, assisting the agent at multiple levels. The team markets risks to carrier partners on behalf of agents using a combination of automation and direct carrier placement. At different levels, sales skills and knowledge of risks and the insurance market are used to find and arrange suitable insurance policies and arrange coverage. The team acts in the interest of the agents and offers products from more than one insurer to provide the agents the best quotes available to them.
The Commercial Lines Analyst III is responsible for finding alternative markets for difficult to place commercial new business submissions that our outside of the expanded markets automation platform. The Analyst uses underwriter relationships to place business and consultative sales skills to assist to field agent in closing the sale with their customer.
- Reviews, analyzes, and prepares quote proposals within the parameters of the standards set and within the agreed upon service level agreements and state regulations
- Effectively communicates additional information needs within carrier eligibility guidelines
- Advances relationships with National Advisory Board agents by responding to inquiries that agents make through their NAB representatives
- Responsible for providing assistance and support for policy inquiries made from agents
- Instructions are clear and within the guidelines adopted by organization
- Answers complex inquiries and complaints regarding interpretation of policy, coverage, rules, and regulations
- Assists team members to understand and apply basic process, procedures, and guidelines
- Identifies potential unprofitable and/or problem risks/accounts and agents
- Consults with agents regarding features, advantages and disadvantages of policies and coverages
- Uses independent judgment to evaluate risk eligibility against carrier appetite guidelines to determine best market placement
- Negotiates with carrier underwriters to find the most suitable insurance for the agents clients at the best price
- Educates agent on various commercial aspects of writing business, including but not limited to classes, policies features
- Manages relationships with assigned ELITE agents. Assists CL Manager in identifying agents with high potential for CL business results
- Provides guidance and may assist in training junior staff but no direct supervisory responsibility
- 5+ years of underwriting, agency or placement experience
- Knowledge of P&C carrier underwriting and rating systems
- Knowledge of insurance industry rules, regulations and legal requirements
- Consultative sale skills, demonstrated ability to influence, teach and persuade agents to close a sale
- Relationship management - Negotiating and influencing ability to impact the decision of others
- Experience with Property Casualty multi-line rating and underwriting
- College degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary but thats just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, youll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here" for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here" for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.