Senior Claims Liability Specialist
The Claims department with IAT has an immediate opening for a Senior Liability Claims Specialist in our Rolling Meadows, Illinois location. This position is responsible for attaining optimal results on complex and serious exposure litigated and non-litigated claims.
The primary responsibilities are below:
- Handles complex and serious exposure liability claims in compliance with: policy provisions, applicable laws and regulations, internal procedures and designated authority.
- Performs in-depth evaluation of claim and exercises judgement in selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Verifies/analyzes applicable coverage for the reported loss.
- Drafts correspondence to stakeholders, including but not limited to, reservation of rights, coverage declination, excess, DOI letters as appropriate/required.
- Establishes 24-hour contact and maintains appropriate contact with all involved stakeholders throughout the life of the claim file.
- Investigates each claim by gathering information, conducting interviews, taking statements, conducting website research as needed, reviewing and analyzing reports and related bills.
- Identifies and addresses subrogation/contribution/SIU opportunities.
- Sets accurate/timely loss/expense reserves in compliance with Claim Guidelines.
- Evaluates, negotiates, and authorizes settlements with all stakeholders within designated authority.
- Selects, directs and manages Vendors/Counsel including approval of defense budgets.
- Negotiates directly with claimants and claimant attorneys upon receipt of critical information.
- Prepare reinsurance reports when required.
- Prepare and present files for Claims Review when required.
- Attend mediations, settlement conferences and trials.
- Conduct required Medicare related investigation, address Medicare liens, and complete mandatory Medicare Section 111 reports as required.
- Maintains resident/nonresident adjuster licenses as required.
- Follows standard practices and procedures in analyzing situations or data from which answers can be readily obtained.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors’ degree preferred with 8 years’ of relevant auto claims experience or equivalent experience.
- Equivalent experience is considered to be 12 years working in a similar role within the insurance field.
- Must have liability claims experience.
- Must have coverage experience.
- Must have litigation experience.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to communicate internally and externally.
- Advanced critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Superior attention to detail and customer service skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to set priorities and multitask in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to be a team lead.
- To qualify, all applicants must be authorized to work in the United States and must not require, now or in the future, VISA sponsorship for employment purposes.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing. We participate in E-Verify.