Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
This position is responsible for leading Personal Insurance (PI) product initiatives involving third party data. This includes interaction with various product areas as well as development teams that work with third party data solutions. The individual is expected to lead the development, design, and execution of third party data initiatives in support of PI underwriting and financial objectives. A strong awareness of PI product management capabilities including a strategic outlook and critical thinking will be important to the success of this position.
Third party data initiatives and projects include strategic planning for new products, evaluation and validation of existing third party data solutions and, working with various product and operational teams, including meeting with vendors to bring resolution to engagement issues. This role must also oversee production and testing issues related to these solutions, so system knowledge and critical thinking will be important.
This position reports to the Managing Director of Third Party Data. The team requires the location to be in Hartford.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Leads discussions with vendors regarding new product offerings and existing product enhancements.
- Leads discussions with Product strategy and R&D teams regarding the business value of third party data sources.
- Provides well thought through business requirements and supports training and communication efforts for the broader organization.
- Meets with various business groups to diagnose and solve for production third party data issues.
- Responsible for evaluating and working with the State teams to update existing models and implementations of third party data.
- Participates in project discussions around third party data needs.
- Responsible for monitoring the performance of third party data products and their underwriting strategies.
- Responsible for bringing awareness to state teams on vendor outages and in some instances working with the product teams to get resolution to impacted policies.
- Responsible for researching existing systems with regard to third party data and developing impact assessments for issues and strategic efforts.
Bachelor's degree in Liberal Arts or Business. Minimum of 4 years of property casualty insurance with working knowledge and experience in product underwriting and coverage. Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft office products (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
Education, Work Experience & Knowledge
5 years of Personal insurance experience, with at least 2 years of personal insurance individual risk underwriting experience. Personal insurance individual risk underwriting, product development, or claim experience. Advanced knowledge and understanding of personal insurance products, underwriting, underwriting & 3rd party data processes, systems, coverage, distribution channels, regulatory environment and insurance financials. Working knowledge of Microsoft Visio. General knowledge of Impromptu or similar query tool. Ability to collect data from data marts or willingness & ability to develop these skills.
Job Specific & Technical Skills & Competencies
Leading the Business: Advanced leadership, innovation and initiating skills Results driven Advanced understanding of individual risk underwriting and associated processes. Customer-focused orientation (agent and consumer) Demonstrates advanced understanding of Personal Insurance products, underwriting, coverage, rules, 3rd party data and systems. Leading Self: Advanced oral and written communication skills with ability to influence at all levels of the organization. Includes the ability to communicate intent of underwriting and/or 3rd party data strategies and positions to all levels of the organization. Strong presentation skills. Advanced organization and time management skills. Attention to detail. Advanced ability to comprehend and communicate intent of underwriting strategies, philosophy and positions and inter-relationships with coverage. Advanced critical thinking and analysis skills to understand underwriting results, underwriting quality and competitor actions in order to recommend underwriting actions, underwriting strategies and positions. Intermediate ability to assess quality of individual risk underwriting. Actively invests in improving own capabilities
- Demonstrates strong understanding of Personal Insurance business. This includes products, pricing/filing processes, claim, underwriting, risk management, compliance, distribution channels, business and sales centers, and PI systems.
- Performs analysis with third party data implementations and understands the impacts of decisions on the broader organization.
- Works with a team to support development of new product strategies.
- Demonstrates strong business and technical acumen.
- Strong leadership and initiating skills
- Drives results and acts with a sense of urgency
- Customer focused orientation
- Advanced to expert oral and written communication skills
- Organization and prioritization skills a must
- Attention to detail, with critical thinking and analytical skills
Operates standard office equipment (Frequently) Sitting (Can stand at will) (Frequently) Use of Keyboards, Sporadic 10-Key (Frequently)
Licensing or Certificates
Preferred: Matriculation in CPCU, IIA, or other recognized insurance designations (examples: CPCU, ARM, CIC)
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this position please CLICK HERE