Lead Big Data Engineer
- Career Level
- Not Specified
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field cant be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. Youll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers lives. Well help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, youll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And youll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
As one of Allstate's next generation innovation initiatives, we are creating a team to lead an ambitious project to create value at the confluence financial services, big data and analytics and digital customer experiences. The team is responsible for defining the strategy, building solutions, managing the product portfolio and building end user applications in new and emerging domains. We are carving out entirely new class of solutions that are driven by insights derived by data analytics in our business lines and related user experiences. These solutions are geared towards both B2B customers as well as consumers in our ecosystem. We are looking for deep thinkers, researchers, smart software engineers and gritty product owners to join our team.
In this role we are seeking for a Lead Big Data Engineer with data analytics background that can lead the creation of a complex data lake. The role will support the identification, selection and standardization of the data based products and services. Additional responsibilities include:
- Become the internal owner for this data-driven initiative, execute all project aspects in partnership with internal and external constituencies.
- Drive all technical discussions with internal team and how the program integrates into Allstate systems.
- Identification, evaluation and prioritization of data sources
- Lead team through agile process, as product manager you will own the user story map and manage the backlog and the sprint schedule
- Responsible for product quality, version management, etc.
- Execute the product vision, value proposition, and positioning for the data platforms
- Process input from Customers and internal sources to provide clear product and project prioritization.
- Develop technical documents that define market and product requirements.
- Work with Development, Operations, and Project Management to ensure development and delivery of products on time and manage expectations.
- Exhibit strong sense of ownership and ability to work in global team environment.
- Work closely with Allstates Data and Analytics team as well as the Quantitative Research and Analytics team to deliver data sets that meets their analytical needs.
- Support ongoing relationships and strategic alignment with product stakeholders for key customer accounts.
- Bachelors degree required, preferable in Computer Science/Business/GIS/Data Science.
- Advanced Analytic Data Sourcing and Content Management skills
- Computer Proficiency in Oracle, UNIX, Linux, SQL
- Experience with Dimensional Modeling, SAS, Tableau, Cloudera or other Hadoop distributions
- Strong technical skills or experience in a technically complex product development environment (e.g. database or software applications).
- Background in information systems, big data and analytics experience a must with close familiarity with contemporary tools and agile methodologies
- Exposure to Hadoop, Python, Hive, Spark, Java a big plus
- Experience driving business decisions as key technical lead gathering and managing business requirements
- Ability to execute in a cross-functional team environment spread across many departments, while driving for desired outcomes.
- Ability to communicate complex ideas in a clear, concise manner both verbally and in writing.
- Results oriented as demonstrated by proven ability to meet short deadlines and execute against multiple competing priorities with little direct supervision.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary but thats just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, youll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here" for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here" for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.