Harford Mutual is seeking a Foundation Underwriter to support the Commercial Business team. This position analyzes new and renewal commercial risks for foundation accounts and decides whether to provide coverage and if so under what conditions. The position can be either located in our Bel Air, MD office or working remotely out of the Charlotte metro area.
- Solicit, underwrite and sell new business accounts within framework of company underwriting guidelines.
- Evaluate renewal accounts by reviewing experience, correspondence and inspections to determine if the account should be non-renewed, renewed, or modified.
- Service accounts as result of requests for action or information received by phone, mail, or in person from agents and policyholders in order to develop and maintain sound working relationships.
- Establish and maintain pipeline of new business accounts as well as identify cross sell and up sell opportunities.
- Provide recommendations (which are requirements for continuation of coverage) to agents on certain risks based on inspection reports and control compliance through follow-up with agents.
- Review and analyze claim reports and decide if cause of loss requires underwriting action and if so, notify agent of decision.
- Complete file documentation according to company requirements.
- Submit selected risks for reinsurance based on the line of business, size and type of risk involved, and the reinsurance agreement we have with the reinsurer.
- Provide training, guidance, and counseling to commercial business service staff.
- Occasionally meet assigned agents to develop and maintain relationships.
- Maintain links with professional organizations, other company agents and personnel, etc. to stay abreast of changing market conditions.
- Work in unison with agents and other departments to grow and maintain a profitable book of business.
- Stay current on state issues, regulations and trends.
- Participate in the review and analysis of agency performance.
- Performs other duties or special projects as required or as assigned by a supervisor.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in business related field; Degree in Risk and Insurance Management a plus
- 1-3 years of experience in commercial lines underwriting
- Previous experience in writing foundation sized accounts is preferred
- Completion of or participation in AU or CPCU programs
- Ability to work mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Attention to detail, accuracy and efficient record keeping required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills along with the ability to make independent, informed decisions.
The Harford Mutual Insurance Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.