Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Group (MSIG) is one of the world’s top ten property/casualty insurance carriers with over 38,000 employees worldwide. MSIG insures large multinational and domestic companies, and offers comprehensive global insurance programs. Our US subsidiary, Mitsui Sumitomo Marine Management (MSMM), currently has an opportunity available for a Senior Underwriter in our Industrial & Global Property department, located in our New York City office.
Summary Responsible for producing, underwriting and servicing Industrial and Global property business on a nationwide basis in accordance with corporate goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Produces, underwrites and services Industrial and Global property risks within delegated underwriting authority. Monitors underwriting results, premium and loss trends within assigned book of business.
- Reviewing submissions to determine acceptability of risk in accordance with Company guidelines and standards.
- Perform all aspects of the underwriting process and due diligence including review and analysis of financial documents and individual risk factors.
- Applying appropriate pricing techniques according to company filings and state/bureau conformance.
- Working with brokers and clients to create customized insurance solutions.
- Documenting accounts in accordance with regulatory and internal underwriting guidelines.
- Analyzing Policy forms and endorsement requests from brokers.
- Deliver quality service to brokers and customers within established service metrics for new, renewal and interim requests.
- Develop and cultivate new and existing broker and customer relationships nationally. Source new business opportunities through a strong broker and client network.
- Establish and execute effective and efficient broker and client visits (with appropriate business units – Risk Engineering, Claims and Marketing Representatives) in order to maintain existing, and increase new, business.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Education and Experience Required:
Diploma/Degree & Experience
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) required
- 7 to 10 years of related property underwriting background required.
- Existing producer relationships preferred.
- Must have demonstrated negotiation and production skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have good computer skills including knowledge of Internet software; Excel, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and the ability to learn and work with miscellaneous insurance-related applications.
Other Qualifications Required:
CPCU or insurance related courses helpful.
Other Skills and Abilities Required:
Position requires 20% same day travel, with some overnight stays.
New York City, New York
Competitive salary, benefits, and 401K!