Director of Underwriting
- Career Level
- Experienced (Non-Manager)
Company Value Statements
In the performance of their respective tasks and duties, all employees are expected to demonstrate the following:
- Acting with the highest level of honesty, trust, character and transparency.
- Making a unified effort to achieve the goals of the organization; embracing accountability for exceptional performance every day.
- Commitment to excellence in reaching our full potential as individuals and as an organization, surpassing the ordinary and the expectations of our stakeholders.
- Approaching every challenge with creative energy, discovering unique solutions to maximize success; focus on creating and delivering compelling customer value.
- Belief in the power of a diverse workforce and in creating a positive impact on both the environment and our community.
The Director of Underwriting is responsible for supporting the strategic profit and growth plan of product management through the development of strong agency relationships and underwriting objectives which includes oversight of coaching, training and development of underwriters and staff including quality assurance, performance reviews and hiring. The Director of Underwriting is instrumental in problem-solving on related topics between Underwriting, Claims, Sales, Product Management and other operational areas. Coordinate with relevant teams to develop, implement, evaluate and communicate training material, as well as provide internal and/or external training as appropriate to effectively convey product features and benefits. Manages the development and implementation of new products that support the overall growth strategy.
Reinsurance is an integral part of the Underwriting process. The Director of Underwriting must be familiar with all reinsurance contracts and their language regarding conditions and exclusions to ensure adherence to avoid any coverage gaps; assist with various exposure analysis and make recommendations to senior leadership regarding reinsurance purchasing decisions.
- Design and implementation of efficient processes and procedures to improve turnaround time and the overall underwriting customer experience.
- Provide expert knowledge to ensure compliance with all state insurance laws and regulations.
- Uses knowledge and independent judgment to determine eligibility of risks when compared to guidelines of programs available.
- Primary contact for marketing opportunities and relationships to develop plans for implementation and continuous improvement.
- Coordinate with relevant teams to develop, implement, evaluate and communicate training material, as well as provide internal and/or external training as appropriate to effectively convey product features and benefits.
- Assist in reinsurance analysis including preparing summary exhibits for various stakeholders, reinsurance contract review, and evaluation of data provided by reinsurance brokers to make recommendations to senior leadership regarding reinsurance decisions.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones and photocopiers.
This position constantly operates a computer and other office machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
25% or more
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree in any job-related field of study. 7+ years of relevant experience demonstrating progressively increasing levels of responsibility in commercial and personal lines underwriting (knowing Florida homeowners market is a must) or related insurance experience. A minimum of five years’ experience in a leadership capacity. Strong organizational, quantitative reasoning, critical thinking, interpersonal, time management, verbal and written communication skills. Ability to multi-task within a fast-paced team-oriented environment a must. CPCU, CIC, and/or Associate in UW designation.
Preferred Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Insurance and Risk Management, property and casualty product experience, and established Agent/Broker relationships.
Apply for Director of Underwriting
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly