- Career Level
- Not Specified
We currently have an opportunity available for a Trial Attorney to join our OneBeacon Staff Counsel office within our Anaheim California location. This position provides legal representation and defense counsel for insureds before courts, arbitration panels, or other bodies and advises OneBeacon Claim employees in their handling of litigated claim matters. In addition, this position is responsible for completion of caseload and trial work of some complexity, whether by settlement, trial or appeal. The Trial Attorney works to develop the skills necessary to litigate defense files independently.
- Handles a consistent workload of defense files representing OneBeacons insureds in property and casualty matters. Responsible for maintenance and completion of caseload and trial work of some complexity, whether by settlement, trial or appeal.
- Works independently on all aspects of litigated files including contact with the insured, discovery, depositions, motion practice and trial and with Senior Trial Attorney on more complex matters.
- Conducts all appropriate legal action to best protect the interests of the client(s) on all assigned cases in an ethical and zealous manner. Prepares appeals and performs necessary research on motions.
- Some authority to negotiate settlements with plaintiffs attorneys.
- Interfaces and provides counsel to other OneBeacon Claims staff as cases develop through trial or resolution.
- Reviews and reports all large cases to managing attorney, prepares timely reports as required and schedules/attends conferences with other Claims staff to review pending litigation.
- Maintains a strong professional knowledge of legal environments and applies this information effectively.
- Interfaces with and directs paralegals and other staff in the production of documents and litigation file management.
- Must have the ability to diagnose, analyze and solve complex problems.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office suite.
- 5-7 years of experience litigating property and casualty claims.
- Substantial experience with research, discovery depositions, mediations and trial preparation required.
- JD required.
- Current license to practice law in local jurisdiction(s).