- Career Level
- Not Specified
Join our growing company and take your audit career to the next level!
The Internal Auditor is responsible for understanding and evaluating the internal control and risk environment within Assurant, Inc. at the business, process, transaction, and/or application level. He or she completes all internal audit work in compliance with established audit methodology while meeting all organizational and professional ethical standards. Specific objectives include the following:
- Support and coordinate SOX (Sarbanes Oxley) and MAR (Model Audit Rule) compliance activities through execution of testing and communications to management.
- Participate in complex audit projects and work with teams under the direction of the Audit Manager, assist in project scheduling, perform initial reviews of work product, assist with department reports and other required internal audit related tasks.
- Collaborate with Assurant business leaders and managers to understand the strategy and risks within the Assurant businesses and then advise on the control structures necessary to manage risks.
- Participate in department initiatives to ensure department processes, systems and methodologies effectively and efficiently enable the department to meet its chartered objectives.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
The Internal Auditor reports to the IAS Manager and is directly responsible for the following:
SOX and MAR (75%)
The primary function of this role is to support/coordinate SOX/MAR compliance activities through the execution of testing and communication to management. Specific tasks include the following:
- Participate in the development, review and implementation of test documentation and procedures.
- Execute business test strategy to ensure the activities are performed in accordance with the SOX/MAR plan.
- Review documentation for quality, consistency and relevance.
- Communicate SOX/MAR status and year-end results on a timely basis to external audit and Assurant Inc. management.
- Assist with State and SEC examinations when required to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Participate in periodic scoping and account mapping of significant processes.
Participate in Complex Audit Projects (5%)
The secondary function of this role is to participate in projects that identify risk, evaluate internal controls and report key findings for assigned business areas, and assess their impact to Assurants mission, strategy and related business objectives. Specific tasks include the following:
- Participate in complex risk based audits through all phases of the audit including planning, testing and assisting with written reports of key findings.
- Assess opportunities to improve the internal control environment across the company.
- Use knowledge of finance, insurance industry & finance regulations, process management and general business to help Assurant business leaders initiate and manage risk.
- Ensure that all supporting documentation is sufficient, adequate and meets professional standards to re-perform conclusions reached.
- Communicate effectively with all levels of management and staff through written reports and oral presentations.
Build Relationships with Assurant Business Leaders/Managers (10%)
The third function of this role is to develop the business relationships that enable Internal Audit Services to fulfill its charter and meet stakeholder expectations. Specific tasks include the following:
- Develop an understanding of Assurant Businesses and maintain awareness of significant industry, regulatory and business changes across the organization and their potential impact on the established control environment.
- Apply listening skills to understand business issues and risks by being responsive to clients.
- Be a trusted, objective and independent partner that is sought after to provide cost effective, independent assurance and advice on the effectiveness of the companys management of critical risks.
Department Development (10%)
The final function of this role is to ensure that department processes, systems and methodologies effectively and efficiently enable the department to meet its chartered objectives. Specific tasks include the following:
- Assist in department initiatives to improve department processes, systems and methodologies.
- Actively learn and apply knowledge gained through professional development opportunities, including external and internal training.
Basic Qualifications and Other Requirements
- BS/BA degree from an accredited college or university (preferably in business, management, accounting, finance or related field)
- Ability to analyze data, identify root causes and propose reasonable solutions that manage risk.
- Ability to write clearly and be focused on actionable and reasonable results.
- Ability to document work performed to enable external re-performance.
- Ability to think critically through recognizing assumptions, evaluating arguments and drawing conclusions.
- Ability to maintain composure and deliver results while under pressure managing multiple assignments and priorities.
- Ability to learn quickly and apply abstract ideas to achieve measurable results.
- Ability to resolve conflict, negotiate and communicate effectively.
- Ability to build credibility and trust.
- Ability to analyze problems and make decisions
- Ability to apply functional knowledge.
- Ability to collaborate with others and deliver results.
- 1+ years of internal or external auditing, operations, accounting, or general business analysis.
- Experience in formal communications (written reports and oral) with all levels of staff and management
- Experience in collecting and analyzing complex data, recognizing assumptions, evaluating information and drawing logical conclusions.
- The ability to formally assess risk, plan and execute tests of the control environment and write reports of key findings following defined methodologies.
- The ability to resolve conflict and negotiate solutions meeting best needs of all parties.
- Experience applying broad business knowledge and practical experience to manage and control risk.
- Experience with financial services or insurance industry.
- Experience with the MetricStream GRC System.
- Experience managing project plans, issues logs, risk/mitigation strategies, automated testing tools, cost/benefit analysis tools.
Proficiency in one or more of the following topic areas:
- Internal audit professional standards, risk assessment, ICFR, COSO methodology
- Accounting & finance (GL, AP, AR, payroll systems, ratios, valuations, etc.)
- Risk, compliance, Insurance and financial regulations
- Business process improvement and design (BPM, Lean, Six Sigma, etc.)
- IT Systems, data, security
- Impact of culture on business strategy, change management.