Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
The Specialized Business Technology IT team in our Business Insurance division is seeking a talented passionate Senior Software Developer to drive the thought leadership of Information Technology strategic initiatives and enhancements for our business partners.
Join a dynamic team in support of Loss Sensitive Applications working on a variety of projects varying in scope and technologies utilized. This position will lead the day to day tasks of others, oversee technical deliverables and work closely with the Lines of Business. We are seeking experience in all stages of solution delivery including analysis, design, construction, testing, deployment, and support.
We are seeking the following skills and abilities in candidates:
- 5 + years experience in analysis & design
- 5 + years experience with .Net, MSSQL, Stored Procedures, Windows Scripting
- Client/server, SQL Server and Web services Java knowledge
- Multi-tier architecture knowledge
- Document management (preferably FileNet Content Services)
- Excellent written documentation skills
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Excellent self-management skills (task lists, status reports, prioritization)
- Commitment to quality and timely deliverables
- Solid estimating skills
- Solid organization skills (able to multitask)
- Desire to understand the business
- Clustered server architecture knowledge is a plus
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Collaborate with the business subject matter experts, business analysts, architects and technical leads from other disciplines to come up with end to end solutions to meet the assigned business requirements
- Provide rough order of magnitude estimates before the technical designs are completed and detailed estimates after the technical designs are completed
- Document detail design at an appropriate level so that it can be handed off to team members
- Manage the work of developer resources, mentoring and coaching as needed
- Provide programming direction to a team of on-shore and off-shore developers
- Perform technical walkthroughs, code reviews and test plan reviews
- Establish expectations with project members and provide timely feedback
- Collaborate with others in determining the impact of infrastructure upgrades
- Build and leverage effective alliances across the technical and business community ensuring the best utilization of resources
High School diploma or equivalent required. 5 years of programming/development experience required.
Education, Work Experience & Knowledge
Bachelor's degree in a related field preferred. 7 years of programming/development experience preferred. Experience as a technical lead preferred.
Job Specific & Technical Skills & Competencies
Technical Knowledge: Able to expertly assess, design, develop, configurate and support applications, systems solutions, and interfaces for multiple systems to achieve business and/ or technical requirements. Demonstrates technical mastery for technologies, applications, systems, frameworks, and/or languages and has the ability to influence and/or set technical direction or defect resolution. Fully understands business applications and/or technical system environments in which the system operates. Demonstrates proficiency in business concepts. Demonstrates expert knowledge of applications/systems and concepts. Able to evaluate and leverage pre-existing services and frameworks. Leverages enterprise and industry best practices and standards. Works to ensure component interactions follow and promote design best practices. Communication Skills: Ability to communicate thoughts/designs/ideas in an unambiguous manner and adjusts communication based on audience. Exhibits active and effective communication skills with team members - including active listening and effective written and verbal communication skills. Effectively contributes and communicates with the immediate team. Able to present complex technical concepts to audiences of varying size and level. Business Knowledge & Partnership: Able to develop and leverage business and/or vendor partnerships, consult on business priorities, and optimize value through solution identification aligned with business objectives, goals, and future technology direction. Able to easily communicate in business terms and describe IT capabilities/concepts in ways that the business can understand. Problem Solving & Decision Making: Able to expertly diagnose root causes, solve complex problems, and collaborate effectively with business and technical teams. Able to break a problem down into manageable pieces, evaluate potential risks/alternatives, and implement effective, timely solutions. Carefully evaluates alternative risks and solutions before taking action including escalating situations as appropriate. Demonstrates sound decision making and problem resolution skills. Often consulted by team members for problem resolution and guidance. Has the ability to reach sound decisions quickly. Knows where to obtain information needed to make the appropriate decisions. Optimizes the use of all available resources. Trusted technical advisor. Team Orientation: Able to promote, maintain, and enhance partnerships across the organization to achieve objectives and engage stakeholders. Able to influence project stakeholders and team members. Practices objectivity and openness to others' views. Able to recognize and support team priorities. Leadership: Able to set and assign technical goals and priorities for self and team members. Exhibits team leadership. Able to set teams technical direction. Able to provide feedback and/or coaching regarding technical resources. Planning and Project Management: Demonstrates ability to identify critical project tasks and establish clear priorities while keeping the overall strategy in mind. Able to manage time and competing priorities. Able to accurately estimate the tasks and resources needed to complete assigned project work. Financial Awareness: Able to accurately assess the financial impact of recommended designs/solutions. Demonstrates ability to understand relevant costs associated with assigned project work.
Requires occasional weekend work hours.
Operates standard office equipment. Requires extended periods of computer use. Requires extended periods of sitting.
Licensing or Certificates
Depends on the specific role but some examples may include: ITIL Remedy Java certification Microsoft certification.net Kanban/Agile/SAFe
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this position please CLICK HERE