Senior Commercial Vehicle Underwriter
- Career Level
- Not Specified
This position is responsible for evaluation of the Commercial product from an underwriting perspective and utilizing data from PS&S, Pricing, and Marketing to grow the Commercial Vehicle (CV) business profitably. This position will have involvement and responsibility for commercial lines growth and profitability. This position will make decisions for risk acceptability of certain types of business and approve or decline submissions based on underwriting guidelines. This position will have authority to evaluate risks and make underwriting decisions. Exposures outside of the authority for this position will be reviewed the Underwriting Manager prior to finalizing the decisions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Following is a summary of the essential functions for this job. Other duties may be performed, both major and minor, which are not mentioned below. Specific activities may change from time to time.
- Perform risk reviews and upfront underwriting review to determine risk acceptability (new business, renewals, reinstatements)
- Make decisions on the most complex business risk within given authority levels
- Serve as point of contact for all exceptions (agents, sups, TSM, Pricing, Marketing, Etc.).
- Significant involvement with underwriting and processing of new business and renewals, including providing input into product decisions and procedures
- May have responsibility for supervising a unit of either underwriters or underwriting assistants which includes supervising, and evaluating performance of team , and may also assist with other staffing decisions/ planning.
- Train and mentors Processing and Phone teams as new and/or revised procedures are implemented, and train and mentors less experienced staff/personnel and/or Territory Sales Managers (TSMs) and agents
- Identifies strategic opportunities for growth by analyzing current procedures and guidelines
- Work collaboratively with the Marketing Department and Commercial Product Managers and Analysts to accomplish growth and profit objectives
- Document and communicate underwriting guidelines, philosophies, and decisions with Pricing, Marketing, Compliance, etc. as well as generate ideas & facilitate automation for the Commercial product
- Develop and analyze both internal and external data in order to provide key input to Pricing and Marketing by analyzing the quality of agents business through profile reviews, audits, and ongoing communication with Pricing, Marketing, and PS&S
- Help to determine actions needed for agent rehabilitation
- Develop and maintain performance standards and tools used to perform underwriting audits, using file reviews (conducted by themselves or others) to ensure adherence with underwriting guidelines and direction
- Participates in annual agent reviews with Pricing and Marketing. Assist the TSMs with Agency audits
- Prepare reports for various channels and departments and participate in meetings as necessary
- Possess a significant knowledge of state and federal laws and regulations applicable to the use of commercial vehicles and act a subject matter expert for both agents and underwriters
Minimum Skills and Competencies:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelors Degree or in-lieu of degree equivalent education, training and work-related experience
- 5+ years of commercial underwriting experience
- Ability to establish and maintain agency relationships, identify profitable opportunities, and able to assist in leveraging business opportunities for other divisions
- Ability to effectively manage a book of business
- Proficient in evaluating agencies for new business potential
- Thorough understanding of underwriting policy and procedures
- Thorough understanding of the insurance industry and organizational relationships of the company
- Effective leadership and diplomacy skills; must be able to coach and mentor others
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong attention to detail, organizational skills, and timeliness in order to meet customer service expectations
- Ability and desire to learn and effectively use computer based underwriting systems to manage workflow
- Strong knowledge of forms and commercial insurance coverages
- Must possess effective verbal and written communication skills
- Expertise is specialized subject matter
- Bachelors Degree in a Business related field
- Experience in specialty product lines
- Supervisory experience
- MBA or graduate degree in Marketing or Finance.
- Insurance professional designations such as IIC, CPCU, AU, and/or ARM
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Thorough knowledge of the Policy Processing systems
- Project management experience
- Ability to effectively prioritize
- Multi-tasking abilities
- In-depth business knowledge
- Effective problem solving skills
- Ability to cultivate cross-functional relationships
- Professional phone etiquette and interpersonal skills
- Negotiation and sales skills
- Ability to make decisions, solve problems and work in a fast paced environment meeting aggressive business deadlines
About National General Holdings:
National General Holdings Corp. is headquartered in New York City. National General traces its roots to 1939, has a financial strength rating of A (excellent) from A.M. Best, and provides personal and commercial automobile, homeowners, umbrella, recreational vehicle, motorcycle, supplemental health, and other niche insurance products. We are a specialty personal lines insurance holding company. Through our subsidiaries, we provide a variety of insurance products, including personal and commercial automobile, homeowners, umbrella, recreational vehicle, supplemental health, lender-placed and other niche insurance products.
National General is a fast paced, dynamic, and entrepreneurial organization. Our team members live by and exemplify what we call the 4Es. At National General, we are Energized, Engaged, Empowered, and we Execute every day in order to provide an exceptional experience for our customers! We are passionate about our organization and the value that we add every day. A successful candidate with National General will embody the 4Es. Our team is poised to outperform the competition. We are National General Insurance and with us you can be extraordinary! Come join our team!
Companies and Partners
Direct General Auto & Life, Personal Express Insurance, Century-National Insurance, ABC Insurance Agencies, NatGen Preferred, NatGen Premier, Seattle Specialty, National General Lender Services, ARS, RAC Insurance Partners, Mountain Valley Indemnity, New Jersey Skylands, Adirondack Insurance Exchange, VelaPoint, Quotit, HealthCompare, AHCP, NHIC, Healthcare Solutions Team, North Star Marketing, Euro Accident.
In addition to a phenomenal career opportunity, National General Insurance offers an excellent benefits package including:
Medical, Dental, Vision benefits
Life and Short/Long Term Disability Insurance
401k w/ Company Match
Company Paid Holidays & Generous Time-off policy
Employee Discount Program
Career Advancement and Development Opportunities
On-site Healthcare Clinic (Winston-Salem and Cleveland offices)
On-site Fitness Center (Cleveland and Dallas offices)
Subsidized parking (Cleveland office)
National General Holdings Corp. is an Equal Opportunity (EO) employer Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of any characteristic protected by law. Candidates must possess authorization to work in the United States, as it is not our practice to sponsor individuals for work visas.