Hires, trains and supervises a team of Underwriting Assistants and Underwriting Techs on a centralized support center to ensure accurate and timely account processing, data entry and policy issuance across multiple jurisdictions for the Workers Compensation line of business.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Supervises one or more support teams in a centralized WCU underwriting processing center.
- Hires, develops employees, manages performance and performs other supervisory responsibilities for his/her direct reports.
- Organizes the team workload, assigns work and projects and manages resources and results.
- Sets performance expectations, team and individual goals and timelines in alignment with department management.
- Provides regular feedback and coaching to team members.
- Mentors and develops team members to further their skills and knowledge; creates and monitors development plans.
- Prepares and conducts performance evaluations; ensure performance coaching is conducted on a regular basis
- Ensures staffing coverage for the team is available to support department needs and provides back up coverage for peak times and absences.
- Manages and maintains direct report timesheets and timesheet compliance.
- Enforces Company and department policies and procedures. Ensures consistent procedures are followed, processing and analysis are accurate and thorough and all deadlines are met.
- Ensures that account processing, risk modeling data entry, premium booking and policy issuance are performed correctly and on a timely basis.
- Monitors the quality and quantity of work for the unit.
- Ensures department standards are met for timely policy issuance and endorsement processing.
- Monitors work flow process to include accuracy, organization and prioritization of Underwriting Assistants and Underwriting Techs workloads
- Evaluates workflow process and recommends changes to increase productivity.
- Tracks individual team members error rates and the types of errors made to ensure rates meet department standards for accuracy.
- Trains team members on procedures and systems including how to set up and manage policy files manually and how to interpret and analyze policy and/or account documentation.
- Provides and/or coordinates training on policies and procedures for new and existing team members.
- Audits files quarterly or monthly for accuracy and timeliness.
Creates an environment that provides for an exceptional customer experience
- Develops a cohesive team that works well together and creates team camaraderie and a productive spirit
- Provides individual coaching and development on interpersonal competencies and holds direct reports accountable for exceptional customer interactions.
- Serves as the main contact for policy processing questions for agents, brokers, insureds and other Company departments.
- Answers escalated customer inquiries and resolves issues and complaints.
- Refers inquiries to management when appropriate.
- Connects SCE Team Members to the greater mission, goals and results of the Company and the WCU line of business.
- Directly supervises four or more non-exempt staff.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with Company policies and applicable laws. These responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; conducting performance and salary reviews; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Must have high school diploma or a general education degree (GED) a minimum of two years supervisory experience. Insurance and underwriting experience preferred.
- Experience testing business computer systems preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs including Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Ability to learn the quote pricing program and the policy processing program.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the general public.