House Counsel Attorney
- Career Level
- Not Specified
Responsible for handling the highest exposure and most complex assigned litigation from inception through trial and to ensure all internal case handling and reporting requirements are consistent with NGICs Litigation Philosophy and Litigation Management Guidelines. Provide the highest level of legal representation for National General Insurance and its insureds. Take ownership of any issue, problem or error that could impact the company, policyholder and/or loss participant.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Following is a summary of the essential functions for this job. Other duties may be performed, both major and minor, which are not mentioned below. Specific activities may change from time to time.
- Answer summonses and complaints
- Initiate and respond to written discovery
- Prepare and respond to motions before the court
- Prepare for and attend all court appearances as necessary
- Prepare for [including written submissions] and attend arbitrations where appropriate
- Prepare for, schedule and conduct depositions and examinations under oath as necessary
- Prepare for and attend trials as necessary
- Maintain reporting procedures (i.e. file reviews, diary control)
- Research and analyze legal questions and issues
- Write confidential legal memoranda
- Draft confidential opinions
- Research and prepare post-trial motions and appeals
- Maintain current knowledge of applicable insurance law in the state of practice (New York)
- Provide guidance, mentoring and counseling to other attorneys as needed
Minimum Skills and Competencies:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- J.D. (Juris Doctor) Degree from an accredited US law school
- Maintain appropriate licensing and educational requirements
- 7+ years of experience in insurance defense on behalf of an insurance carrier in any combination of the following areas: no fault trials, automobile liability, liability claims, homeowner/premises, material misrepresentation, fraud claims and/or uninsured/underinsured claims
- Experience in all phases of litigation from trials to verdict that includes first chair trial and appellate practice in state and federal courts; involvement in complex, high risk and/or high exposure cases
- Possess a strong understanding of insurance law, including the laws and rules governing civil practice in the state of practice
- Ability to analyze legal issues and identify relevant case opinions and facts, as well as the ability to interpret laws, rules and regulations; ability to provide concise, practical advice to non-lawyers
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to write motions and legal prose with clear and cogent arguments
- Possess strong organizational and time management skills
- Possess strong skills in attention to detail
- High degree of initiative, mature judgment, discretion and the ability to handle sensitive matters on a confidential basis
- Possess strong client relationship skills with the ability to resolve conflicts and empathize with insured clients
- Possess strong negotiation skills
- Knowledge of complex medical issues, particularly orthopedic and neurological with the understanding of etiology, causation and treatment of injuries consistent with motor vehicle and premises accidents
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Proficient in Westlaw software
- Solid understanding of the insurance industry and organizational relationships of the company, including the functions of other departments
- Experience in Legal Files case management software
About National General Holdings:
National General Holdings Corp. is headquartered in New York City. National General traces its roots to 1939, has a financial strength rating of A (excellent) from A.M. Best, and provides personal and commercial automobile, homeowners, umbrella, recreational vehicle, motorcycle, supplemental health, and other niche insurance products. We are a specialty personal lines insurance holding company. Through our subsidiaries, we provide a variety of insurance products, including personal and commercial automobile, homeowners, umbrella, recreational vehicle, supplemental health, lender-placed and other niche insurance products.
National General is a fast paced, dynamic, and entrepreneurial organization. Our team members live by and exemplify what we call the 4Es. At National General, we are Energized, Engaged, Empowered, and we Execute every day in order to provide an exceptional experience for our customers! We are passionate about our organization and the value that we add every day. A successful candidate with National General will embody the 4Es. Our team is poised to outperform the competition. We are National General Insurance and with us you can be extraordinary! Come join our team!
Companies and Partners
Direct General Auto & Life, Personal Express Insurance, Century-National Insurance, ABC Insurance Agencies, NatGen Preferred, NatGen Premier, Seattle Specialty, National General Lender Services, ARS, RAC Insurance Partners, Mountain Valley Indemnity, New Jersey Skylands, Adirondack Insurance Exchange, VelaPoint, Quotit, HealthCompare, AHCP, NHIC, Healthcare Solutions Team, North Star Marketing, Euro Accident.
In addition to a phenomenal career opportunity, National General Insurance offers an excellent benefits package including:
Medical, Dental, Vision benefits
Life and Short/Long Term Disability Insurance
401k w/ Company Match
Company Paid Holidays & Generous Time-off policy
Employee Discount Program
Career Advancement and Development Opportunities
On-site Healthcare Clinic (Winston-Salem and Cleveland offices)
On-site Fitness Center (Cleveland and Dallas offices)
Subsidized parking (Cleveland office)
National General Holdings Corp. is an Equal Opportunity (EO) employer Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of any characteristic protected by law. Candidates must possess authorization to work in the United States, as it is not our practice to sponsor individuals for work visas.