Underwriting Team Manager
- Career Level
This position provides a full range of Underwriting support for an identified Underwriting Team, develops and oversees Underwriting staff. Areas of responsibility include oversight of new policy issues and quotes, assistance with referrals and questions outside of the Underwriters’ authority or expertise, and workflow monitoring and maintenance. Key priorities include developing, implementing and monitoring Underwriting guidelines and business goals. Developing and maintaining successful agency relationships and working in partnership with the Business Development Manager to achieve all Underwriting Team goals and objectives. Exercise discretion and apply sound and independent judgment and decision making regarding business and company goals, all under the guidance and direction of the Director of Underwriting.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education: A Bachelors Degree in Business Administration, Insurance, Finance or a directly related field is required.
Experience: Minimum of seven years’ experience in Underwriting is required, with emphasis in property and casualty experience preferred.
Designations/Certifications: CPCU industry certification is highly desired. Other industry designations, such as but not limited to AU or INS, are also desired.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to complete each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provide leadership in accordance with MEM’s vision, mission and values while providing direct supervision and guidance to an Underwriting Team, under the guidance and direction of the Underwriting Director.
- Define, implement and monitor Underwriting department operations, working with Underwriting staff and management staff of other departments to ensure that company and business goals are met.
- Manage and lead the Underwriting Team regarding the application of Underwriting judgment and decision making as applied by members of the Underwriting Team and ensure that risk selection practices and use of reinsurance coverage conform to Underwriting guidelines and designated levels of authority.
- Work with other management within Underwriting to develop, monitor, and/or review Underwriting guidelines, policies, procedures and requirements as applicable, including market and judicial changes within the industry as a whole, and recommends modifications as deemed necessary.
- Determine training needs within the Underwriting Team and establishes goals for staff with respect to technical skills. Guide staff in the areas of agency and policyholder education on MEM products and services and identifying appropriate business opportunities.
- Work with other Underwriting management to identify across the board training needs and coordinate with the Quality Assurance and Training Specialist to design and implement such training.
- Supervise the application of Underwriting judgment and decision making as applied by subordinates and determines that risk selection practices and use of reinsurance coverage conform to underwriting guidelines and designated levels of authority.
- Working with the Director of Underwriting, identify and establish Underwriting guidelines and letters of authority for all team members. Review and approve risks in excess of Underwriters’ letters of authority.
- Orient Underwriting team with company policies and procedures, clearly communicating work duties and responsibilities so that individuals may proceed with certainty in the performance of their jobs.
- Monitor and coordinate the work performance of all team members, including ensuring adequate staff during times of high absence, monitoring PTO requests and ensuring adequate phone coverage is available within the team and department as a whole.
- Assist with the development and ongoing performance of a quality assurance program reviewing the work product of individual Underwriters within the Underwriting team, taking corrective action as warranted.
- Ensuring established service standards are met. When appropriate, work with other Underwriting management to work through any issues or problems associated with workloads including development of a plan to assist other Underwriting Teams, if necessary.
- Monitor compliance with the 60 day notice rule on renewals and 25% price increase letters. Monitor and adjust workloads as needed for individual Underwriters within the Underwriting Team.
- Conduct effective and on-time performance appraisals, and consult with the Director of Underwriting on appropriate course of action if change is required, taking corrective action when necessary. Participate in decisions related to the selection, promotion, transfer, pay and discipline of department staff.
- Will assess, identify and may assist with technical training for Underwriting staff. Also act as a resource for Underwriters regarding classifications, Underwriting issues, payment and invoice questions, payroll report or installment questions, processing procedures, cancellations, correspondence, premium consultations, endorsements, etc.
- May coordinate a multi-disciplinary team including the Underwriter, Safety and Risk Services Consultant, Claims Field Service Manager, Premium Consultant and Business Development Manager through Special Account reviews to ensure proper servicing of large accounts, including developing action plans for these accounts and achievement of adequate pricing.
- Evaluate historical loss information to assess trends and future loss potential, determines and measures exposures and hazards for all types of industries and evaluates financial conditions of applicants and policyholders on a department, team or individual staff Underwriting basis.
- Evaluate individual account pricing by Underwriting staff within the assigned team, using available pricing tools such as rating tiers, schedule rating, etc. as appropriate to ensure adequate loss picks are achieved and pricing is adequate to meet company designated goals.
- Assist Director of Underwriting by providing input for profit analysis, premium planning, market analysis, etc.
- Responsible for the profitable Underwriting results and achievement of technical Underwriting objectives according to company standards within the assigned team.
- Understand and adhere to MEM’s Underwriting guidelines and meets all file documentation standards, complies with all Underwriting and authority level standards and passes all internal and external quality and compliance audits.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of all company forms, endorsements and rating methodology.
- Point of contact for producer complaints or concerns with actions within the Underwriting Team including those involving coverage in states other than Missouri.
- Meet task, project and business objectives within prescribed quality and time standards and reports issues related to agencies, business production and quality, and business products and services in an accurate and timely manner to the Director of Underwriting.
- Assist with claim litigation processes as necessary, including assisting and supporting company legal counsel as needed.
- Take personal cognizance of and monitors day-to-day Underwriting developments, including loss frequency and profitability of major accounts. Ensure Special Account Reviews (SARs) are conducted timely and with meaning.
- Establish and monitor department workflows and online policy rating system, and interact with members of the Underwriting department responsible for system support, system changes or corrections to assure timely and quality service.
- Will frequently collaborate with other mid-level company management on projects, teams or special assignments.
- Visit key producers and travels selectively with Underwriters and other company personnel to provide support and to assess and improve producer/company and policyholder/company relations.
- Communicate effectively with policyholders, producers, NCCI, and other outside agencies as well as internal company personnel and works cooperatively with other company staff to fulfill company and individual objectives.
- Perform all duties and responsibilities in a timely and efficient manner and in accordance with prescribed company policies and standards.
- Approach job in a conscientious and mature fashion, demonstrating a personal and professional sense of responsibility.
- Exhibit an ethical manner of conduct and keeps sensitive information confidential. Demonstrate a willingness to contribute what is necessary to get the job done.
- Facilitate and coordinate meetings and other functions as needed.
- Provide input for and review of public company communications and publications as requested.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities assigned.
- A valid driver’s license is required.
LANGUAGE SKILLS AND JOB COMPETENCIES:
- Ability to read and comprehend basic and complex instructions given from written and oral sources.
- Ability to write basic and complex correspondence in an organized and grammatically correct format.
- Ability to effectively present information to top management, coworkers, producers, policyholders and the public.
- Ability to read, write, speak and comprehend English fluently.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing, on the telephone and in person using correct grammar, spelling, punctuation, sentence structure and vocabulary appropriate to the insurance industry, marketing activities and/or the captive audience.
- Ability to communicate effectively with both internal staff and external customers.
- Ability to support and defend decisions in a professional manner.
- Ability to work in a team environment and to adapt positively to change.
- Ability to apply effective planning, organization and time management.
- Ability to understand and apply basic mathematical relationships and formulas.
- Ability to understand and apply basic and complex accounting mathematics.
- Ability to apply sound analytical skills.
COMPUTER SKILLS AND OTHER JOB RELATED ABILITIES:
- Intermediate to expert knowledge level of word processing and presentation software.
- Analytical skills.
- Basic computer literacy with knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, specifically Outlook, Excel and Word.
- Ability to type with a high degree of accuracy.
- Working knowledge of policy processing and support systems including ImageRIGHT imaging system and workflows, PolicyCenter, BillingCenter, ClaimCenter, Internet Explorer, Cisco CallManager, CallRex, ModMaster, Argonaut, etc.
Apply for Underwriting Team Manager
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly