BUILD YOUR FUTURE, WHILE PROTECTING THEIRS.
You will be challenged. Rewarded. And valued for your unique experience, background and perspective.
Join a team where hard work pays off and original thinking is celebrated. As you build your future at Westfield Insurance, you will quickly learn that protecting our customers future by delivering on our promise to help restore lives and rebuild businesses when the unexpected happens is at the heart of what we do. Building relationships and caring about people has been part of our culture since 1848. Be a part of a team that recognizes and appreciates those who take initiative, know how to elevate an idea and can innovate and seek opportunity in a changing world.
Risk Control Consultant Job Summary
$95,626 - $109,970 - $124,313
Position will be based out of Charlotte, North Carolina
The Risk Control Consultant is the technical lead in Risk Services for a line of business or niche providing subject matter expertise, consultation, mentoring, and support of strategy and resource alignment. The Risk Control Consultant is responsible for improving awareness, capabilities, and actions that build on department brand, value, and experience. This is done through consultative interaction with the customer, Commercial Underwriting Office (CUO), Commercial Lines (CL), and Risk Services (RS) team to understand, prioritize and respond to opportunities on an individual and aggregate basis. The position works closely with RS leadership and the RS Operations team to advocate and champion change in reaching desired objectives. The Risk Control Consultant actively engages with the RS team and CUO peers to calibrate and develop capabilities to meet current and future needs. The position is engaged with complex accounts or issues to support the customer, business unit and Westfield in reaching desired objectives through industry best practices and effective solutions. Being a job that leverages knowledge and expertise, expectations are to stay current to issues and trends by: networking with professional associations; reviewing or conducting pertinent research; performing data analysis; or other actions.
Essential Functions (primary functions and/or reasons the job exists in order of importance)
1. Serves as a subject matter expert for Risk Services for a line of business, business niche, or risk control function. This includes responsibility under area of expertise for: development and execution of department strategy; effective application of risk control resources; interaction and collaboration within the department and with other business units; and awareness to key customers in area of expertise with direct or indirect involvement as needed.
2. Reviews, analyzes, and provides Risk Services leadership with recommendations and strategy that align with the department, CUO and CL initiatives (e.g. profitability, retention, customer quality) based upon individual subject matter expertise. Champions and supports department implementation of agreed initiatives.
3. Leads and/or actively participates in product development and projects that support the department and company regarding area of expertise. This includes the development of technical information and other resources to support the department, company, agents, and customers.
4. Serves as a risk control expert for Westfield and external customers for area of expertise. Proactively develops the acumen and behaviors of Risk Services to a minimum level of skilled in partnership with the RS leadership team. This includes supporting calibration assessments and development within Risk Services through Quality Control, coaching, training/development and other tools.
5. Provides comprehensive risk evaluation and risk control service on the most complex and/or sophisticated customers. This includes providing input on desirability for a customer, identifying critical risk improvement opportunities, and offering alternative solutions to risk control problems.
6. Develops and maintains strong business relationships that drive effective change with internal and external business partners. A primary focus is collaboration and engagement with CUO peer team to improve awareness and alignment on key issues impacting underwriting performance or reaching desired objectives. Participates in company marketing activities through regular agency interaction that supports profitable risk retention and growth. This includes sales/service proposals with new or existing customers and business/agency presentations
7. Collaborates with underwriting to develop an understanding of risk factors with a customer that support and deliver sound business decisions. Prepares and submits comprehensive reports and additional data or resources that provide a complete risk assessment and understanding of the risk.
8. Assesses the customers risk management needs and establishes a customized strategy with the customer. Provides effective consultation with customer that supports implementation of action plans.
9. Controls loss exposures and costs by creating effective change though submission and implementation of recommendations with the customer on key risk issues. Communicates recommendations directly to the customer and supports compliance.
10. Gives presentations to internal and external customers on risk control issues. Coordinates training for department, company, agents, and customers.
11. Maintains and advances knowledge in the field of risk services and related topics through professional development including training, attending and participating in seminars, working towards a professional designation, and/or similar activities that support risk control service capabilities and company results.
12. Maintains knowledge of relevant codes/standards, technology, and legislative issues, as well as appropriate changes.
13. Informs Risk Control Leader of activities and problems within the assigned area of responsibility; refers matters beyond area of authority to manager or appropriate channel for direction.
14. Travels as often as needed including regular utilization of assigned fleet vehicle in order to cover assigned territory. This may involve traveling on short notice or other daily driving duties as assigned regardless of location.
Desired Qualifications/Experience/Certification/Education (in order of importance)
1. 10 or more years of loss control and/or industry related experience.
2. 5 or more years of experience writing reports/letters, giving presentations, and product development.
3. 3 or more years of consultative experience and persuasion skills.
4. Experience interacting with all levels of internal and external business partners.
5. Creativity in resolving unique and challenging business problems.
6. Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects.
7. Experience in dealing with ambiguous situations and issues.
8. A bachelors degree in insurance/ finance, mathematics, engineering, or safety related field or related designation (e.g., CSP) or commensurate work experience.
9. Valid drivers license and a driving record that conforms to company standards.
Physical Requirements (specific to the role)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Ability to work effectively in an office environment for 40+ hours per week (including sitting, standing, and working on a computer for extended periods of time).
Ability to communicate effectively in a collaborative work environment utilizing various technologies such as: telephone, computer, web, voice, teleconferencing, e-mail, etc.
Ability to travel as required.
Ability to operate an automobile within the parameters of the driving policy.
Ability to drive for extended periods of time, under a variety of conditions, including night driving.
Ability to lift a minimum of up to 35 lbs.
Ability to climb ladders and stairs.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed in this role. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, responsibilities, knowledge, etc. These may be subject to change and additional functions may be assigned as needed by management.
Westfield offers a Total Rewards program that focuses on compensation, benefits and wellness, and includes perks like 401(k), pension plan, annual incentive, education reimbursement, flex-time, onsite fitness center and casual dress. Work-life balance, recognition, and learning and career development are all part of a rewarding career with Westfield Insurance.
To learn more about Westfield and the opportunities available, please visit us at www.westfieldinsurance.com
We are an equal opportunity employer/minority/female/disability/protected veteran.
Westfield is a great place to work and grow in your career. Our success depends upon the people we employ…individuals who embrace a winning vision of sharing knowledge, building trust and providing support for the team
Westfield provides a broad portfolio of insurance and financial services backed by knowledgeable employees and a network of more than 1,000 professional independent insurance agencies. Westfield operates in 21 states for property and casualty insurance and 31 states for surety. Westfield is one of the nation’s Top 50 Property & Casualty insurance companies, one of the top writers of farm insurance in the country, and the largest writer of contract performance bonds in Ohio.