Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Risk Control is currently executing on a number of exciting reporting and visualization projects and continues to invest in Business Intelligence and Analytics capabilities. We are leveraging an agile delivery model utilizing modern standards and technologies to meet our growing and changing business demands. Our software developers work with both the business and IT team in understanding complex business intelligence objectives and designing and delivering solutions to meet those objectives. This role will give the right person an opportunity to provide the bridge between business partners and technical teams, providing technical specifications and code that brings new capabilities to our business partners. This position will provide the chance to work in an agile methodology as a Scrum Master.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- In partnership with the business create agreement on project scope.
- Elicit, analyze, specify and communicate business, technical and implementation requirements
- Play the Scrum Master role for the agile team
- Analysis of data and alignment of data to requirements.
- Identify use cases from requirements that drive coding requirements and testing strategies
- Ability to translate requirements into technical stories for development by an agile team.
- Perform as a lead developer in building ETL and reporting applications that align with requirements.
- Determine the best approach for leveraging quantitative data to satisfy business needs
- Participate in multidimensional databases and data warehouse modeling
- Design solutions with optimal performance
- Participate in testing in all phases of development.
- Ensure the test strategy and test plans adequately cover the requirements.
- Report and analyze usage statics of Information Delivery tools
Create an atmosphere where business partner's issues are dealt with professionally, and in a timely manner. Suggest solutions that make sense and are in line with future technology direction. Communicate openly and effectively in a manner consistent with the audience. Demonstrate an adaptive style that is flexible and effective in gaining cooperation of others. Anticipate and respond to management requests for information with timely, accurate findings
Problem Solving & Decision Making:
Demonstrate sound analytical and diagnostic skills dealing with issues that are not readily defined and/or conflict with available information. Know where to obtain information needed to make the appropriate decisions. Break a problem down to manageable pieces and implement effective, timely solutions. Is very good at identifying the problem versus the symptom. Deal increasingly with problems that require involvement of others to solve. Has the ability to reach sound decisions quickly. Carefully evaluates alternative risks and solutions before taking action. Optimize the use of all available resources.
Maintain partnerships across the organization, and is able to influence senior management, peers and staff through an inclusive style and recognition of their abilities to achieve results. The success of the team is above own interest.
Planning and Project Management:
Develop operational plans and provides resource estimation for task planning. Propose plans of action that are timely, realistic and positive. Set appropriate goals for projects, and monitors progress against the plan.
Bachelors Degree in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics), Business or equivalent education or 5 years analytics work experience required. 4 years of business analysis or analytics experience required. Demonstrated intermediate analytic and diagnostic skills.
Education, Work Experience & Knowledge
- 5+ years in a Business Intelligence Information Developer role.
- Experience working in a variety of software development methodologies (waterfall, agile etc.), with experience in Agile preferred.
- Experience working in a matrixed organization.
- Experience leveraging and maximizing value of offshore resources.
Job Specific & Technical Skills & Competencies
- Ability to decompose the abstract into details.
- Superior problem solving skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate with Information Technology and Business Leadership.
- Analytic Thinking
- Broad understanding of Business Intelligence & Analytic capabilities and how the various capabilities are dependent on each other.
- ETL coding skills leveraging enterprise tools, preferably using Ab Initio.
- Experience leverage enterprise BI reporting tools particularly Cognos and Qlikview.
- SQL skills to query SQL Server and Teradata
Operates standard office equipment. Requires extended periods of computer use. Requires extended periods of sitting.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this position please CLICK HERE