Commercial Insurance Claims Representative INTERN
- Career Level
- Not Specified
Opportunity Snap Shot
UFG Insurance offers an internship program that is intended to prepare the student for a potential career in Claims with UFG upon graduation from college. The selected candidate will learn all aspects of the Telephone Claims Representative job. Learn to investigate and evaluate assigned property or casualty claims to determine liability, damages and settlement/negotiation techniques.
The UFG Internship Program
The UFG internship program is designed to develop first-hand knowledge in commercial insurance coverage in a professional environment through on-the-job learning with our employees. This paid internship program gives the student business and technical skills they need to understand the core of our industry and to launch their future careers as a successful UFG employee.
The selected intern will have an opportunity to compliment what theyve been learning in school by receiving valuable onsite training, gaining practical experience, and learn more about the insurance industry as a whole.
Shadow along with experienced claim professionals, which may include reading training materials, to learn the following skills:
- Claims Principles: Work with Customer Service Representatives and Telephone Claims unit to learn the Claims Process
- Policy Interpretation of various coverage types
- Damage Evaluation: Relate coverage to losses and handle first party losses by phone
- Introduction to Legal Concepts and Doctrines
- Investigation: Also sit with experienced representative and observe statement taking and take a statement
- Reporting Communication: Including practice writing letters on active claim files; Review form book and checks; Become familiar with both and proper completion/handling
- Medical Terminology: Then review active injury files and discuss
- Evaluation and Negotiation
- Implementation: Handle claims as assigned, review coverage and facts. Critique results with training supervisor
- Additional Consequences: Review subrogation-arbitration, spend time in other departments, understand ethics/attorney relationship, special property losses, review policies of other lines of coverage
- Wrap Up: Concentration on all types of claims with emphasis on coverage, liability and damages relating to reserves and reserve philosophy
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Insurance professionals normally are a business-educated individual. We are looking for the forward-thinking college student for the Summer Internship Program.
A summary of the qualifications we are looking for are:
- Currently in their Junior year of college
- Majoring in Risk Management and Insurance, or Finance, or other business major concentration.
- Serious about considering a career in Commercial Insurance
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater preferred
- Problem-solving and analytical skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient with spreadsheet and word processing software
- Attributes we seek include: excellent relationship builder; open-minded and team-oriented with collaborative work style; flexible mindset; and ability to thrive in a dynamic environment.