Supervisor, Personal Lines Underwriting
- Career Level
- Experienced (Non-Manager)
Are you looking for a position that offers advancement opportunities, great benefits and recognition for a job well done? Join MAFPRE Insurance!
MAPFRE Insurance is a forward thinking insurance company offering friendly service from over 2,000 professionals focused on taking care of you and your family. For decades, MAPFRE Insurance has been protecting families and their possessions with quality insurance coverage and a strong commitment to service excellence.
Your Future Starts Here!
Supervisor, Personal Lines Underwriting
This position is located in Gilbert, AZ.
Strong knowledge of Underwriting guidelines preferred.
Supervises one underwriting unit within the Personal Lines Underwriting Department; planning and monitoring the timely and accurate completion of the unit's responsibilities. Monitors the acceptability and profitability of the business produced by the agencies assigned to the unit's underwriters, taking corrective actions when necessary. Assumes responsibility, as assigned, for monitoring the underwriting experience for a particular line of business. Provides technical underwriting direction and assistance to the unit in regard to complex functions. Identifies, analyzes, and implements underwriting system and procedure changes to improve the department's effectiveness/efficiency. Oversees the career development of the unit's staff. Assures that the unit's functions are performed within established underwriting guidelines and standards. Coordinates the timely and professional preparation and distribution of relevant agency force informational/instructional materials.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Education: Bachelor's Degree or professional level of knowledge in a specialized field, or equivalent related experience preferred.
- Experience: 4 - 6 years or Associates Degree equivalent plus 6 - 8 years.
- Knowledge: Complete understanding and knowledge of industry, practices, standards, and concepts within field of work and broad business segment. Solid knowledge of management practices.
- Decision Making: Typically makes decisions that impact short-term results. Interprets and executes policies and guidelines set by higher level management. Determines how to meet schedules, allocating resources. Typically makes operational decisions independently. Recommends modifications to operating policies. Problems are generally diverse and may impact multiple units.
- Supervision Received: Assignments are received in objective-oriented terms, and combine both strategic and tactical responsibilities. Work is reviewed for unit's overall adequacy in meeting organizational objectives.
- Leadership: First level manager who typically manages exempt employees and or subordinate supervisors of non-exempt employees. Direct reports typically exercise significant latitude and independence in their assignments. Provides direction to subordinates based on general policies and management guidance. Develops and administers budgets, schedules, and performance requirements.
- Problem Solving /Operations/Direct Work Involvement: Advises work unit regarding tasks, projects, and operations. Generally becomes involved in day-to-day operations only when required to resolve complex problems or meet deadlines.
- Client Contacts: Frequent contacts with internal and external parties at various management levels concerning operations or scheduling project phases. Communication typically involves persuasion, and negotiation with middle management levels. May interface with senior management.
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Prior supervisory experience required; ideal candidate will have a strong personal lines underwriting background along with field and territory management experience.
Demonstrates ability to exercise business judgement ,effective oral and written communications,sales and negotiations skills,analytical skills and time management. Prior experience in an underwriting position is required. CPCU and/or MAPFRE Insurance preferred.
MAPFRE is committed to recognizing our employees as our most valuable resource. We know our employees are the foundation for our accomplishments. That’s why we offer so many opportunities to share in the success they help us achieve.
To view complete job descriptions and apply, please visit https://mapfreusa.csod.com/ats/careersite/jobdetails.aspx?site=1&c=mapfreusa&id=2023
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.