Senior Underwriter - Commercial Lines
"You work for NJM? That's a great company!" If you're hired, you'll hear it over and over again from friends, family and neighbors. Why? Because NJM strives consistently to meet the service expectations of its customers. These efforts do not go unnoticed — many policyholders have trusted NJM for decades, and it's commonplace for NJM to insure multiple generations of the same business and families.
NJM is a great company for policyholders and for employees. With competitive salaries and attractive benefits, including medical, dental, a generous 401(k) plan, paid time off and more, as well as opportunities for advancement, many employees choose to build their careers at NJM. New Jersey's premier property/casualty insurer and a leading provider of Workers Compensation, Commercial Auto, and personal lines insurance.
This is a very rare and exciting opportunity for a Senior Underwriter to come on board with a top long standing and highly reputable industry leader, and assist with our expansion into the Commercial Package and BOP marketplace. In this role the candidate would work out of our commercial lines headquarters in West Trenton, New Jersey and work closely with Commercial Underwriting leadership. However candidates who can split time between West Trenton and Parsippany would also be considered.
• Initially a key focus will be on training and development of existing underwriting staff for Commercial Package and BOP related products.
• Act as a subject matter expert and mentor for underwriters as it relates to Commercial Package business. Will also be a technical go to person for these related products.
• Assists in the designing and implementation of new underwriting applications, processes and/or procedures.
• Eventual assignment of a local territory to help develop these new offerings for new business in a Senior Underwriter capacity. Establish and maintain relationships with producers and customers to understand their needs and sell products that respond to their needs.
• Partner with other commercial lines areas in exceeding NJM business growth, profitability and retention targets.
• Comply with all legal and regulatory requirements to ensure obligations are met.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
• Typically has a minimum of 10 years’ experience underwriting commercial package accounts. BOP underwriting experience is a plus.
• Extensive knowledge of Commercial Multi-line Package underwriting risk assessment, controls, rules, guidelines, pricing, rating and coverage.
• Ability to train and lead underwriters in all aspects of Commercial Package underwriting and processing functions.
• Ability to review coverage requests and independently makes risk decisions based on company appetite, guidelines, risk characteristics and levels of authority. Refers risks as required for additional review.
• Maintains thorough knowledge of applicable laws, regulations and governance, target industry and class trends, emerging market needs, issues and competition as it related to Commercial Package.
• May support related product development ideas and intelligence.
• Experience developing broker relationships and profitable book of business for assigned local territories.
• Service-oriented self-starter possessing an excellent professional demeanor. Accountable for accurate and timely work products.
• Strong communication, interpersonal, problem solving and team building skills. Ability to work with sales, loss prevention, premium audit, product development staff and the broker community.
• High level of motivation: self-starter, ability to quickly organize materials, prioritize and coordinate tasks.
• Must be detail oriented to ensure accuracy and quality of underwriting development.
• Strong analytical skills.
• Completion of general insurance courses such as CPCU, AU, ARM or CIC are a plus.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
NJM is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to attracting, retaining and promoting a diverse and inclusive workforce that is fully representative of the diversity that exists in the communities in which we do business