Underwriting Supervisor - E & S
- Career Level
- Not Specified
UFG offers you an award-winning workplace and a trustworthy, financially stable company. While weve always known our commitment to employees and financial stewardship, it is good to have others recognize our dedicated efforts. UFG was included on Forbes Americas Most Trustworthy Financial Companies list for both 2016 and 2017. Additionally, UFG is a super-regional property and casualty insurer rated A (Excellent) by A.M. Best Company.
Most important, UFG can offer you a work environment where you can easily see yourself in the big picture from day one. You become part of a successful team that works together to do great things. In addition, we believe in supporting our employees by providing a great benefits plan and allowing our people to develop flexible work hours that align with their personal schedule.
As an Underwriting Supervisor here is what youll be doing on a daily basis: Managing a territory and supporting underwriting by handling referrals, questions and training of the underwriting staff. Monitor staff progress through file reviews and Synergy reports. Assist underwriters with managing their territories to optimize growth and to maintain underwriting discipline keeping loss ratios profitable. Monitor underwriter workloads and make adjustments when needed. Facilitate communication between underwriters and Underwriting Manager and Branch Manager. Work with the Support Staff Supervisor to ensure team efficiency and effectiveness. Interview, select and hire staff. Administer one-on-one and employee development goals. Assist in salary budgeting and administration. Assist Underwriting Manager in rate review process & in product development. Depending on the branch needs, may directly underwrite for certain agents or specific accounts. Develop and facilitate training sessions per branch needs and for the Producer school & Underwriter Trainee program. Complete special tasks and projects, as assigned.
- Team management/coaching/training. Review and sign off on file referrals for underwriting staff. Coordinate and assist in production, underwriting, training and workflow for all team members. Exercise underwriting authority and establish underwriting authorities for team members. Coordinate maintenance of rates, rules and forms, including gathering and analyzing information.
- Monitor underwriting quality, performance and team results, and report them to Underwriting Manager. Develop and implement actions when required. Evaluate, develop and administer annual performance appraisals. Make salary recommendations, including annual operating plan. Monitor team performance, document and discuss performance- related issues as necessary.
- Agency Management/Marketing. Coordinate and assist in customer/agency relations including agency review and implementation of action. Assist in identification of new production sources.
- 5+ years of P & C underwriting experience
- Prior Excess & Surplus underwriting experience
- Must have CPCU and/or AU designations
- Broad knowledge of insurance coverages and marketplace
- Strong analytical, communication, decision-making, problem-solving, planning, organization, leadership and interpersonal skills
- Adaptable to constant change
- Must possess proven coaching and evaluation skills
- Able to effectively motivate others
- Able to travel to promote products and service
- Promote a positive image and develop productive relationships with agents
- Tactful and diplomatic