Underwriter - Medical Stop Loss (Dallas, TX)
HIIG A&H has an opening for an experienced Underwriter responsible for underwriting new/renewal business accounts at a profitable level and managing the relationships involved to ensure the alignment with overall company stop loss goals.
This position's title will be based on applicants' level of experience.
Key Job Functions
- Evaluates risk on in force business / new business prospects, makes decisions to quote or decline to quote, and develops premium rates in accordance with underwriting guidelines and authority limits.
- Independently provides detailed explanations to sales regarding conditions and requirements of quotes, rating decisions and underwriting guidelines.
- Reviews plan design and calculates rates for requested or recommended plan changes.
- Composes, prepares, and generates correspondence, proposals, and other reports as needed or required.
- Develops and communicates new business or renewal rate recommendations and decisions in accordance with level of underwriting authority.
- Processes sold accounts and/or confirmed renewals following established procedures.
- Manages new business or renewal accounts to balance profitability and growth.
- Develops and maintains relationships with clients, producers, and sales representatives to support Company’s production goals and persistency.
- Provides competitive feedback on rates, products, pricing and marketing strategies.
- Makes presentations to peers, producers, and leadership as necessary.
- Relies on experience and judgment to some degree during underwriting process to set pricing, review risk, negotiate, and accomplish goals.
- May assist associate underwriters with some lower level training or/and peer review.
- Other duties as assigned.
Experience/ Education Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree and 5 years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5+ years of experience in medical stop loss required.
- Professional certifications (HIAA, CEBS, etc) beneficial.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel )
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to pay attention to details
- Ability to carry out assignments within parameters of instructions given, prescribed routines and standard accepted underwriting practices.