Claims Supervisor - Auto Casualty
Auto/ Casualty Claims Supervisor
Harford Mutual is seeking a Claims Supervisor to oversee the review, evaluation and process of third-party, commercial auto and casualty claims. Candidates will be expected to efficiently and competently handle bodily injury, property damage, and extended medical benefits claims in Mid-Atlantic Region. This position requires comprehensive knowledge of commercial casualty and automobile coverages, familiarity with proper claims handling procedures, experience with evaluating bodily injuries, and understanding of liability principles and case law. Familiarity with MD, DE, NJ and PA Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists’ coverage is a plus.
- Oversee and be responsible for some litigation management within the unit.
- Supervise claims representatives, examiners and adjusters.
- Ensure that appropriate reserving techniques are being used.
- Audit claim files for compliance with Market Conduct and Claims Service Guidelines.
- Provide settlement authority to claims examiners where needed.
- Provide supervision, training, and direction to personnel regarding proper coverage analysis, claim investigation, file documentation, and customer service.
- Maintain a diary of select cases of claims examiner files that present significant exposures and challenges.
- Provide necessary information for reinsurers.
- Ensure compliance with Unfair Claims Practice laws in each state.
- Effectively work with other departments on matters that affect the entire company.
- Participate and encourage others to engage in continuing education.
- Evaluate overall performance and expenses of independent adjusters/ appraisers.
- Prepare and conduct employee performance evaluations.
- Performs other duties or special projects as required or as assigned by a supervisor.
- Four year college degree or comparable work experience
- 1-3 years of supervisory experience a plus
- Minimum 5 years combined auto liability and/or casualty experience required, and familiarity with MD, DE, NJ and PA Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists’ coverage is a plus.
- Possess knowledge and understanding of casualty/property lines of coverage
- Possess knowledge and understanding of claims workflow and investigative process
- Completion of the AIC designation or participation in the CPCU program
- Understanding and appreciation of technical matters such as coverage analysis, customer service, investigative quality, appropriate file documentation, timely and adequate reserving, and loss adjustment expense control.
- Strong collaborating skills, and an ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment with frequent deadlines; high energy, self-motivated and proactive
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to multitask, and be flexible with regard to workload and assignments
The Harford Mutual Insurance Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.