- Career Level
- Not Specified
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field cant be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. Youll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers lives. Well help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, youll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And youll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
The Law Clerk job family supports the efficient operation of the Law & Regulation (L&R) department by applying knowledge of legal concepts and processes. Under the direction of the organizations attorneys and paralegals, the Law Clerk conducts legal, corporate, and internet research, drafts routine documents, assists with project intake and execution, assists in formulating and maintaining internal reports, consults with business clients on legal related issues, and manages data and files in a legal case management system.
The Patent, Records & Information Management, Litigation Support, and Specialty Operations Group within L&R is responsible for protecting innovation through patent development, enforcement and defense; providing legal services relating to records and information management; managing responses to discovery requests; and managing legal services with respect to complex reinsurance disputes and transactions for the organizations Specialty Operations Division.
The Law Clerk will be responsible for supporting several attorneys and para-professionals in the group. Such support will include the following activities:
- Summarize basic research, including fact gathering
- Summarize basic legal and business issues and update attorney/paralegal
- Distribute documents for review as required
- Gather documents and information for attorney and paralegal analysis
- Conduct basic legal research and communicate results
- Assist with intake of new matters; enter new matter data and upload new documents
- Obtain necessary approvals and signatures
- Enter and maintain data and documents in legal case management system
- Assist with project management and coordination and collaboration between business clients and L&R
- Proofread, format and edit documents drafted by attorneys and paralegals
- Draft documents and communications with oversight
- Validate current processes and identify need for process change
- Support filings with regulatory agencies (including required follow-up issues, requests, etc.)
- Assist with travel arrangements, including travel reimbursement
- Assist with scheduling internal and external meetings and conference calls
- Design and format internal and external materials using a variety of software applications
- Assist with expense management processes including establishing budgets
- Bachelors Degree preferably in a business related field
- Advanced knowledge of required software applications (MS Office Suite, Adobe Professional, TeamConnect, OneNote, Nuance Power PDF) and other web-based applications (including but not limited to Lexis and other legal research tools)
- Basic writing and research skills
- Excellent proofreading skills
- Basic budget management skills with the ability to reconcile expense reports
- Ability to work in a diverse, multi-office and long distance environment
- Exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality of sensitive information, demonstrates ethics and integrity
- Proactive self-starter who is able to manage his/her time effectively and work independently
- Adapts well to change; able to multi-task and make effective decisions in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary but thats just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, youll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here" for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here" for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.