Underwriting Assistant II
- Career Level
- Not Specified
We currently have three (3) Underwriting Assistant II opportunities within our Operations division located in Salem, VA. Our Underwriting Assistant II job provides advanced technical services and administrative support for OneBeacons underwriters. Duties are performed in accordance with specific instructions and established work procedures.
1. Demonstrates working knowledge of OneBeacons rating, policy processing and work-tracking systems and procedures to develop premium quotations and policy contracts.
2. Reviews basic insurance applications and translates the information as required by system or product for use by the underwriters.
3. Following underwriting instructions and authority guidelines, effectively uses OneBeacon policy writing and workflow management systems to process policy transactions. Utilizes on-line resources to facilitate basic transaction processing, such as endorsements. Manages processing of transactions to meet or exceed business unit service standards.
4. Responds to simple inquiries from producers and underwriters regarding rating systems, methods, procedures, status of work and reinstatement requests in a prompt and accurate manner.
5. Demonstrates the ability to use manual rating methods, as required. Obtains workers compensation bureau rate mods and applies as necessary.
6. Responsible for learning and understanding insurance coverages. Takes initiative to acquire additional insurance knowledge by enrolling in industry related courses and programs.
7. Performs training of other, less experienced Underwriting Assistants as needed.
8. Assists with a variety of administrative tasks and special projects as needed. Responds to tasks, requests and inquires in a professional and timely manner.
Good verbal and written communication skills. Must be detail oriented, maintain a high level of accuracy and provide follow-through on projects. Must be able to communicate effectively and professionally with company personnel and customers, and exhibit technical competence and good judgment. Time management, flexibility to change, and ability to focus for long periods of time is required. Demonstrated proficiency with copier, facsimile, phone, internet and computer software including Microsoft Office suite and other data entry applications.
Education and Experience:
High School diploma required, with demonstrated business experience. 1 - 3 years of commercial insurance experience preferred.