Claims Representative Trainee
- Career Level
- Not Specified
Are you looking to become a specialty expert in a stable Industry? Do you like investigation and have great customer service skills? If so, a career in Ocean Marine Claims might be for you!
We currently have an opportunity available for an Ocean Marine Claim Representative Trainee to join our International Maine Underwriters (IMU) team. This position can sit in our Atlanta, GA or New York City.
Under close supervision and typically as part of a formal training program, this position develops skills and knowledge to provide efficient and effective disposition of assigned fairly routine Marine Liability claims through timely investigation, evaluation and resolution. Additionally, this position recommends and implements action plans for settlement of claims exceeding authority level. Claims handled will have lower level of exposure and do not typically involve bodily injury of total loss.
- Makes timely and appropriate contacts and completes appropriate level of investigation to make determination of coverage, liability and damages for routine claims.
- Determines exposure, establishes adequate initial reserves and makes timely adjustments within authority level, as required.
- Within authority level, assigns and directs activities of internal and external resources as required; including independent adjusters and appraisers. Identifies questionable claims and consults with SIU for further direction as appropriate.
- Under close supervision, may determine settlement value of the loss and negotiate proper settlement of claims within authority. Provides recommendations for settlement and disposition of claims exceeding authority level. May utilize liability tools.
- Documents clearly and concisely all relevant activity on assigned files and makes recommendations for additional activity as appropriate.
- As this is a developmental role, completes required learning programs and on the job training as needed. Depending on the case load and business, may be working toward getting state approved license or certificate.
- Anticipates and meets all customer needs (internal and external).
- Good analytical and negotiation skills.
- Must be able to communicate professionally and effectively including strong oral, written and listening skills.
- Must be able to work both independently and as a member of a team and have the ability to interact with diverse groups of individuals. .
- Demonstrated proficiency with computer software including Microsoft Office suite.
- Must be able to maintain a level of accuracy.
- Requires the ability to maintain confidential information
- Bachelors degree preferred, with some business or insurance background.
- 0 - 2 years of claims experience.