Underwriter - Energy
Responsible for underwriting new/renewal business accounts at a profitable level and managing the relationships involved to ensure the alignment with overall company stop loss goals.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Review, analyze, underwrite, quote and bind renewal business within assigned underwriting guidelines and authority level.
- Make individual risk decisions relative to acceptability and price for business assigned with the focus on minimizing loss, while increasing profitability
- Rate and quote multi-state accounts in custom built underwriting system
- Request and obtain renewal information as needed.
- Request additional information from brokers as needed to underwrite new business.
- Communicate with brokers on status of quote and other issues of concern.
- Review and process Broker of Record Letters in a timely manner, no later than 24 hours of receipt.
- Perform file documentations and underwriting notes in preparation for policy issuance.
- Review loss control reports for bound business and monitor for rec compliance.
- Review individual account claim frequency and severity during policy term and annual renewal as needed.
- Maintain solid broker relationships over the phone, email, and regular personal visits.
- Assist other underwriters when workloads demand or when others are out of the office.
- Meet deadlines set forth by management and/or underwriters within the team.
- Meet production, retention, hit ratio, and profitability goals set forth by management.
- Independently provides detailed explanations to sales regarding conditions and requirements of quotes, rating decisions and underwriting guidelines.
- Composes, prepares, and generates correspondence, proposals, and other reports as needed or required.
- Manages new business or renewal accounts to balance profitability and growth.
- Develops and maintains relationships with clients, producers, and sales representatives to support Company’s production goals and persistency.
- Provides competitive feedback on rates, products, pricing and marketing strategies.
- Makes presentations to peers, producers, and leadership as necessary.
- Relies on experience and judgment to some degree during underwriting process to set pricing, review risk, negotiate, and accomplish goals.
- Mentor UA’s, AU’s and underwriter trainees with some lower level training or/and peer review.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree and 5 years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience and knowledge of Energy industry, preferred
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Professional certifications (CIC, CPCU, etc.) beneficial
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel )
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to pay attention to details
- Ability to carry out assignments within parameters of instructions given, prescribed routines and standard accepted underwriting practices.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is not exposed to weather conditions and the noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Ability to travel occasionally.
The above information in this job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performance by employees within this position. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.