Customer Service Agent - Commercial Lines
- Career Level
- Experienced (Non-Manager)
This person is responsible for managing customer contact and for providing timely, quality service to Agents, commercial policy holders, and vendors by phone in a multi-state territory. This includes making policy changes, explaining coverage, updating company records and may include underwriting small business policies.
This is a Full time Non exempt level role
Shift: 11 am - 7:30 pm
Responsibilities/Essential Functions: Primary Focus
- Answers telephone, email and fax inquiries from Commercial lines policy owners and Agents. Interprets and explains policy coverage; counsels, educates and provides accurate insurance advice through researching and resolving problems.
- Handles incoming calls from customers and Agents regarding moderate to complex billing questions (i.e. misapplied funds, billing breakdowns, etc.), coverage questions, policy change requests and Certificates of Insurance. Enters information into multiple rating and policy issuance systems.
- Initiates calls to customers for the purpose of retaining their business, offering optional limits and deductibles and gathering information to properly assess the insurance exposures and risks. May include assignment of specific policies or accounts.
- Underwrites risk (selection and rejection within authority level) of policy changes and each time there is communication with the customer. Under moderate supervision and working within specific limits of authority, obtains information about the customers operations throughout the policy term.
- Be able to make outbound calls to current customers to review current coverages, upsell additional coverages and limits and obtain leads for cross-sell opportunities.
- Other duties as assigned
- Participates in industry organizations and events.
- May create and produce survey/reports that are used to evaluate department performance.
- May meet with Agents, Marketing Managers, and Branch Underwriters to explain the CL Customer Service Center program and maintain working relationship.
- May assist in training other team members.
Required Skills and Experience:
- College degree preferred but not required
- Call Center or Insurance experience preferred
- P&C Agent’s license (must be acquired within 90 days of hire). Completion of annual continuing education requirements to maintain license is required
- Demonstrated professional telephone etiquette
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- Ability to use a personal computer and other standard office equipment
- Ability to work in a fast paced or stressful environment
- Ability to travel as necessary
- Ability to sit and/or stand for extended periods
- Required to work on-site
- Ability to work cooperatively
“The Hanover values diversity in the workplace and among our customers. The company provides equal opportunity for employment and promotion to all qualified employees and applicants on the basis of experience, training, education, and ability to do the available work without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex/gender, sexual orientation, national origin, gender identity, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information, ancestry or any other status protected by law.
Furthermore, The Hanover Insurance Group is committed to providing an equal opportunity workplace that is free of discrimination and harassment based on national origin, race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information or any other status protected by law.”
As an equal opportunity employer, Hanover does not discriminate against qualified individuals with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation, as a candidate for employment, please inform The Hanover Talent Acquisition office.
The Hanover Insurance Group does not accept unsolicited Agency resumes. The Hanover Insurance Group will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm that does not have a signed "Employment Agency Agreement" already on file with Human Resources - The Office of Talent Management.