Litigation Claim Specialist
Title: Litigation Claim Specialist
Reports to: Major Case Unit Manager
Location: Tennessee, North Carolina and Lawrenceville.
Position Overview: The Claim Specialist – Litigation position is responsible for the quality handling and resolution of complex, high exposure liability claims in a timely and professional manner with emphasis on providing quality service while controlling expenses. This position routinely handles claims involving complex coverage issues, catastrophic injuries, intellectual property matters, construction defect claims, contractual liability issues, serious litigated matters frequently reserved in excess of $200,000, and other claims that require specialized handling.
Specific Areas of Responsibility:
- Appropriately manage litigated and other complex or high exposure claims through coverage analysis, investigation, damage evaluation, reserving, and resolution.
- Develop positive business relationships with panel counsel and work with them closely to develop cost efficient approaches to the litigation process and develop action plans to manage cases to early conclusion.
- Prepare and present large loss reports.
- Establish timely and accurate claim and expense reserves.
- Negotiate and convey claim settlements within authority limits.
- Attend mediations and trials.
- Write denial letters, Reservation of Rights and other complex correspondence.
- Maintain an effective diary system and document claim file activities in accordance with established procedures.
- Manage file inventory to ensure timely resolution of cases.
- Handle files in compliance with state regulations.
- Provide excellent customer service to meet the needs of the insured, agent and all other internal and external customers.
- Perform administrative functions such as document preparation, expense accounts, time off reporting, etc. as required
- Perform other duties as assigned
- 4-year college degree or equivalent work experience.
- 5-10 years prior experience handling heavy 1st and 3rd party litigation claims in the Southeast States.
- Proven ability to identify and address coverage issues, complete investigations to determine exposure, set timely reserves and develop detailed action plans.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and collaboration skills.
- Excellent negotiation, time management, and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of tort and contract law.
- Effective presentation skills.
- Working knowledge of legal billing software, claim systems, spreadsheet and word processing software applications.
- Self-directed with the ability to work independently.