Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
The Data Manager supports the Personal Insurance (PI) business and technical communities by working to ensure the end-to-end quality of data used for operational and analytic purposes. This position performs accountabilities under general supervision and: as a data domain steward specializing in the Big Data platform - partners with business owners to understand strategy and guide data decisions that support that strategy. The steward provides oversight of data from the time it is newly defined and structured through its complete life-cycle. This includes applying best-practices in the development of new data; building out metadata that enables proper usage of data; on-demand consulting in areas of expertise; creating data quality checks; and assisting in root cause/impact analysis and resolution of high-visibility defects. The successful candidate will have a strong knowledge of data management activities and best-practices, as well as experience in their application. In addition, they will have particular expertise in data management governance, processes and tools as they apply to the Big Data platform. They will be serve as a resource to the business analytics community in regard to the content available, and will also be responsible for identifying, researching, and escalating issues.
General supervision: the employee is told what to do but not how to do it. The how to is left up to the employee. These jobs have some discretion on accountabilities.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
Overall responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Partner with Business Owners in area of expertise to understand their business strategy and protect their interests
- Collaborate with Business Owners and Subject Matter Experts to define and recommend Data Quality requirements
- Participate in and/or lead Data Governance activities
- Discover, document, and analyze data collection and data transformation processes to determine the cause of systemic errors or uncover data quality improvement opportunities
- Perform root cause analysis, tracing quality problems to their source
- Analyze business impacts of data quality issues
- Communicate out to varied audiences with professional documentation on data management issues
- Identify metrics that are of critical business value
- Perform responsibilities in a manner that promotes data sharing and Master Data Management
- Respond to requests for information
- Perform data profiling, cleansing, and normalization over multiple data sets, ranging from thousands to billions of records
- Create quality metrics and reports to demonstrate progress and ROI, including presenting routine updates to the team
- Develop and exercise domain expertise in the areas of:
- Customer Master Data Management
- Big Data governance and metadata
- Data Security Stewardship
- Other duties as assigned
4 years analytics experience required.
Education, Work Experience & Knowledge
Bachelors degree in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) or Business preferred. 4 years experience in data management or related experience preferred. Experience training others. Insurance knowledge preferred. Demonstrates general understanding of overall data models, data relationships, mapping lineage and business rules. Acts as subject matter experts on specific aspects of data availability and usage, assisting in the arbitration of differences of data interpretations and guidance to projects, business and technology areas. Thorough knowledge of tools and software used to extract and analyze data in the data management function preferred.
Job Specific & Technical Skills & Competencies
- Experience in Big Data platform tools and governance processes
- Demonstrated knowledge of Data Architecture/Modeling concepts
- Experience with one or more modeling tool(s) for representing design concepts
- Clear and concise communication - both verbal and written; ability to elicit requirements and accurately convey information at business and technical levels
- Travelers Personal Insurance business and systems domain knowledge
- Sufficient software development experience to be able to gauge the impact of decisions made regarding data handling
- Knowledge of ACORD Property and Casualty XML standards
- Experience with metadata management and/or data quality tools
- Ability to evaluate multiple options and view situations from many angles, serving various agendas
- Ability to facilitate discussion and mitigate conflicts while driving to a mutually acceptable outcome
Operates standard office equipment. Requires extended periods of computer use. Requires extended periods of sitting.
Licensing or Certificates
IDMA, IQCP, or CPCU preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this position please CLICK HERE