The Universal Property & Casualty Insurance Company (UPCIC) Legal Department is a highly professional and friendly group that provides a challenging, stimulating and satisfying work environment. UPCIC has a strong commitment to its employees and offers many opportunities for advancement.
The following are the usual, basic and essential functions of the position. These functions are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
Essential Job Functions
- Maintain a diary of litigated files.
- Communicate with opposing counsel, defense counsel, construction experts, claim specialists and others to gather information on first-party insurance claims in litigation.
- Evaluate, categorize and document incoming lawsuits.
- Discuss exposure, strategy, settlement and defense options with management.
- Negotiate settlements with opposing counsel.
- Prepare for and attend depositions and trials.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Ability
- Significant experience in insurance claim adjustment and/or litigation, preferably involving the Florida market.
- Florida 6-20 Insurance License.
- Ability to interpret policy.
- Evaluate coverage, limitations, exclusions, requirements, etc.
- Capacity to make informed and confident recommendations.
- Possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Medical, dental and vision insurance (post 60-day probationary period)
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with a Company match up to 5% of your contribution and match is fully-vested (post 90-day probationary period)
- Paid vacation (post 90-day probationary period)
Universal Property & Casualty Insurance Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.