BUILD YOUR FUTURE...WHILE PROTECTING THEIRS.
You will be challenged, rewarded, and valued for your unique experience, background and perspective. Join a team where hard work pays off and original thinking is celebrated. As you build your future at Westfield Insurance, you will quickly learn that protecting our customers future by delivering on our promise to help restore lives and rebuild businesses when the unexpected happens is at the heart of what we do. Building relationships and caring about people has been part of our culture since 1848. Be a part of a team that recognizes and appreciates those who take initiative, know how to elevate an idea and can innovate and seek opportunity in a changing world.
Graduate Development Program Small Business Account Underwriting Job Summary
Starting Salary: $48,500
When its time to start, advance, or change your career, proper guidance and direction are essential. At Westfield Insurance, we invest heavily in preparing you for a career within the insurance industry.
The Graduate Development Program (GDP) prepares recent college graduates, experienced professionals looking for a change of industry, and veterans for an exciting career at Westfield. The GDP combines a variety of learning techniques, including:
- Classroom-based training on insurance-related topics, critical thinking, marketing, collaboration, and customer service.
- Observation and practice elements are included to increase exposure to the business unit and to complete assigned research topics.
- Self-study eLearning to support project work and individual development.
- Team-building activities with peers.
- Networking with leaders across the organization.
- Coaching and mentoring throughout the program from experienced employees.
The GDP training will take place in our home office in Westfield Center, OH.
Small Business Account (SBA) Underwriters work in a dynamic, fast-paced team environment relying on analytical and portfolio management tools. At Westfield, we rely on technical underwriting skills, sales acumen, and strong relationships with our agency partners to achieve growth and profit within each territory. By joining our team, you become a part of a high-performing group that is critical to our success. Working as an SBA Underwriter involves:
- Analyzing and making decisions on the acceptance, pricing, and conditions offered to individual commercial customers on a new and renewal basis.
- Networking and building relationships with insurance agents.
- Territory management responsibilities for production, retention, and profit of commercial lines business within a defined territory.
- Developing, coordinating and monitoring agency business plans.
Job Specifications / Experience / Certification / Education Includes:
- Bachelors degree from an accredited college or university.
- If you are selected and then once you start in your GDP role, this position requires that you successfully complete a combination of AINS General Insurance Exams within 3 attempts.
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal, organizational and time management skills.
- Insurance or business-related degree.
- Relevant internship experience.
- Engagement in activities that demonstrate leadership potential.
- Ability to operate various types of computer equipment and software programs.
- Ability to communicate via the telephone.
- Ability to travel, as required, potentially both inter and intra state.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle.
- Ability to relocate if deemed necessary by the business unit.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed in this role. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, responsibilities, knowledge, etc. These may be subject to change and additional functions may be assigned as needed by management.
Westfield offers a Total Rewards program that focuses on compensation, benefits and wellness, and includes perks like 401(k), pension plan, annual incentive, education reimbursement, flex-time, onsite fitness center and casual dress. Work-life balance, recognition, and learning and career development are all part of a rewarding career with Westfield Insurance.
We are an equal opportunity employer/minority/female/disability/protected veteran.
Westfield is a great place to work and grow in your career. Our success depends upon the people we employ…individuals who embrace a winning vision of sharing knowledge, building trust and providing support for the team
Westfield provides a broad portfolio of insurance and financial services backed by knowledgeable employees and a network of more than 1,000 professional independent insurance agencies. Westfield operates in 21 states for property and casualty insurance and 31 states for surety. Westfield is one of the nation’s Top 50 Property & Casualty insurance companies, one of the top writers of farm insurance in the country, and the largest writer of contract performance bonds in Ohio.