Underwriting Assistant- Excess/ Umbrella
- Career Level
- Experienced (Non-Manager)
Summary: Performs a variety of complex administration tasks within established process and quality guidelines. The position will be dedicated to a defined group of underwriters and will ensure the efficient and effective management of all information necessary to support the underwriting activities of the organization.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Perform competently and consistently the tasks described for Level I Underwriting Assistant.
- Monitor and manage requests received via group e-mail and Fax Store. Reviews instruction from producers, underwriters, and/or insured, to understand and determine the internal process to satisfy the request.
- Record key data into submission tracking and policy processing database; assign to appropriate underwriter. With defined authority, this may include sending declinations from selected templates and requesting additional information. It requires the understanding to take appropriate data from submission and input into underwriting system. Advises underwriter of missing data.
- Perform Quote Request follow-up; communicate with producer to request customer decision; update submission status.
- Generate Renewal reminders; follow-up on pending and indicated accounts, communicate with producer on quoted renewals to request customer decision; update submission status.
- Process and electronically deliver notices of non-renewal within state defined timeframe.
- Process and electronically deliver state and federal filings on accounts required for this type of coverage.
- Assist underwriter in binder process including reviewing of updated applications, supplements, losses and other requested underwriting subjectivities and advising underwriter of any discrepancies.
- Initiate request for outstanding information; perform follow-up as necessary and record receipt of requested information.
- Maintain accuracy and completeness of policy documentation. Import all quote request and policy correspondence received into submission tracking and policy processing database.
- Approve and process endorsement requests within defined level of authority; route risk-involved matters that are beyond defined authority to Underwriter for evaluation/approval.
- Respond to service inquires from agents via phone, e-mail or fax, research and resolve and/or correct errors or customer issues.
- Participate in departmental projects as required.
- May act as a liaison with other departments and facilitate interdepartmental communication.
- Keep manager and team members informed of activities and/or problems within assigned area of responsibility; refers matter beyond limits of authority and expertise to team/department lead for direction
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- One to three years of experience in the position of underwriting assistant or related underwriting support position preferably in the excess and umbrella insurance line of business
- Detail oriented with the ability to work in a team environment and be flexible to daily changing needs and job duties
- Ability to understand business needs and translate into process/system requirements for communication to others
- Ability to analyze and problem solve, working closely with others to coordinate and complete daily, weekly and monthly processes
- Ability to effectively communicate with underwriters, peers and management
- Working knowledge of standard insurance concepts, practices and procedures
- Strong working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, Access and other related software packages
- Ability to demonstrate expert knowledge of department policies and procedures and utilize broad understanding of the business (including products, coverages, etc.) and organization; comply with company and regulatory guidelines
- Ability to work within defined limits and guidelines on assignments that may range from low to moderate technical complexity. Performs work well under moderate to minimal supervision.
The individual must have the ability to read, analyze, and interpret business requests; prepare business correspondence and effectively present to management and peers; effectively respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written or oral form. Ability to define problems, collects data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of word processing software, e-mail, internet software and database software.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must occasionally lift and /or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms.
The employee is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal and expansive reading.
Apply for Underwriting Assistant- Excess/ Umbrella
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly