Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
The Bond & Specialty Insurance IT organization is seeking a motivated Associate Software Developer to join our Business Intelligence & Analytics Agile Scrum team, specifically to support our Financial Compliance Application (FCO) and their respective downstream feeds. The position blends design and programming work with some minimal technical oversight of consulting resources and focuses on the delivery and development that align with our department's strategic platform vision.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Experience with relational database management systems, SQL Server, Oracle, especially in the development and modification of SQL databases, SQL stored procedures and data marts
- Working knowledge of data warehousing concepts and delivery methodologies
- Understanding of financial data flows and the need for stringent balancing and controls
- Familiarity with Subversion(SVN), Autosys and DTS packages,
- Solid Testing practices: Unit testing, system testing, integration testing and collaborating with QA Testing
- Experience with ETL tools: MS ETL Tools, Ab Initio, Talend, and other large platform tools
- Exposure to IBM Host, Connect Direct and COBOL, JCL, Endevor, CA7 Host Job Scheduler is a plus
- Exposure to Reporting tools such as Qlikview, SSRS and XLS Macros
- Knowledge of software development methodologies and software release lifecycles. SAFE, Agile and Kanban experience is a plus
- Good research, analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills, and proven contribution to a team goal
- Ability to rapidly learn technical/business techniques and disciplines
- Strong commitment to high quality work and timely deliverables.
High School diploma or equivalent required. 3 years of programming/development experience required.
Education, Work Experience & Knowledge
-Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Statistics, Mathematics or a related field preferred.
- 3 + years of design and development
- 3 + years data integration
- 3 + years of Microsoft SQL Server
Job Specific & Technical Skills & Competencies
Technical Knowledge: Demonstrates advanced programming/configuration/analytical skills to achieve business and or technical requirements. Able to work independently to resolve discrepancies, defects, incidents or problems with understanding of the business and system impacts. Able to identify and exercise appropriate escalation communications. Demonstrates an aptitude for learning and applying new and/or updated programming languages, techniques, and/or software development disciplines. Demonstrates understanding of the supported business systems.
Communication Skills: Ability to communicate thoughts/designs/ideas in an unambiguous manner and adjusts communication based on audience. Exhibits active and effective communication skills with team members - including active listening and effective written and verbal communication skills. Effectively contributes and communicates with the immediate team.
Business Knowledge & Partnership: Able to clearly and concisely communicate with the business. Demonstrates willingness, cooperation, and concern for business issues. Able to understand assigned business unit and business priorities. Able to coordinate with other technical areas to achieve project/department or division goals.
Problem Solving & Decision Making: Able to recognize, analyze, and diagnose business and technical problems, incidents, and defects of advanced complexity. Able to creatively evaluate alternative solutions Able to reuse previously completed processes. Demonstrates the ability to make routine decisions independently and recognizes when escalation is necessary.
Team Orientation: Ability to build and foster relationships with team, business, and technical partners to achieve objectives. Practices objectivity and openness to others' views. Able to recognize and support team priorities. Leadership: Exhibits team leadership and collaborates with partners.
Planning (Project Management): Able to manage time and competing priorities and provide management with accurate and timely status information. Able to accurately evaluate and estimate tasks. Financial Awareness: Able to understand how the project schedule relates to budget.
Requires weekend work hours. Requires overnight work hours. Requires holiday work hours (Federal and religious). Requires extended periods (1 or more weeks) of travel as needed. Requires travel up to 5% of time.
Operates standard office equipment. Requires extended periods of computer use. Requires extended periods of sitting.
Licensing or Certificates
Depends on the specific role but some examples may include: ITIL Remedy Java certification Microsoft certification.net Kanban/Agile/SAFe
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this position please CLICK HERE