Underwriter - Business Development
Perform functions to promote FHM’s plans and services, build and establish relationships with agents, and act as liaison between FHM, agents and policyholders, as well as perform duties to evaluate and determine if submissions meet with guidelines for acceptable risk, underwrite business that meets defined criteria, and manage policies in force through communication with agents and policyholders guided by precedent and working within the limits of established policies.
- Promote and communicate FHM’s philosophy, programs and services to agents in order to receive new business and to secure renewals. Establish and build trusting relationships with agents, customers and internal staff, and act as a liaison between FHM and agencies. Attend events with agencies to build and enhance relationships.
- Receive and review new business submissions. Research submissions utilizing appropriate underwriting guidelines. Define rates for acceptable business that are within state approved rates and plan profitability limits and suited to the organization’s business model. Communicate with agents to determine historical losses and other relevant information that impacts rates to be quoted. Generate and transmit quotes to submitting agents for business that is within underwriting guidelines and decline submissions that are outside of guidelines.
- Generate renewal reports to begin a new renewal cycle, obtain information necessary to underwrite renewal business. Review account history, make adjustments to class codes as necessary based on audited information. Analyze account using established underwriting guidelines and loss ratios, and other relevant data. Work with risk management and marketing to address underwriting concerns, order risk management audits, and gather information required to determine the risk associated with renewal. Consult management with recommendations on large new or renewal business proposals. Prepare renewal terms or decline renewals based on analyses. Confirm renewals issued and close renewal cycle monthly.
- Serve as a resource to support agency’s sales efforts. Provide expert knowledge on FHM plans, answer technical questions, analyze and review proposals and assist with sales presentations for prospective customers as needed.
- Service existing accounts and act as liaison to research and resolve customer’s inquiries, problems and concerns. Provide training and demonstrations to agents and customers on online tools and capabilities as necessary.
- Interpret policy coverage for agents and policyholders as required.
- Communicate with internal departments to assist with resolutions of issues and to provide input and recommendations. Escalate cases when circumstances cause business to fall outside guidelines or authorized limits.
- Communicate and provide contact information to Policy Services as needed.
- Serve as a member of the Marketing Committee and participate in the development of sales and marketing programs. Serve as a resource to provide information regarding market trends and environment.
- Participate, contribute, and share knowledge in marketing and task force meetings.
- Train and supervise Assistant. Provide assignments and direction.
- Attend periodic classes, conferences or seminars, as necessary. Maintain current knowledge of competitor’s plans, laws and regulations, legal changes, and trends and developments in the insurance field.
- Generate and file periodic letters, proposals, expense accounts and other reports as necessary.
- Regularly drive automobile to customer sites and other locations as necessary. Maintain a valid Driver’s License and insurability under company’s insurance policy.
- May be required to set up and operate from a home office.
OTHER DUTIES MAY INCLUDE:
- Perform or assist with any operations, as required to maintain workflow and to meet schedules and quality requirements.
- Participate in any variety of meetings and work groups to integrate activities, communicate issues, obtain approvals, resolve problems and maintain specified level of knowledge pertaining to new developments, requirements, and policies.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Executive Search Firms and Staffing Agencies:
Please be advised that FHM Insurance Company and its affiliate, FHM Insurance Services, Inc. (collectively FHM) only accepts resumes from agencies with which FHM has an executed contract for a particular position. Consequently, FHM is not obligated to pay referral fees to any agency that is not party to an agreement with FHM. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted directly or indirectly to FHM, are deemed to be the property of FHMIS.