Regulatory Compliance – Senior Manager
Topa Insurance Company is a growing boutique specialty insurance carrier in Calabasas, California, with more than 30 years of service in the industry. Our highly engaged employees enjoy a modern, collaborative work environment with on-site fitness. Our top notch management team encourages professional development and achievement, with a commitment to make Topa Insurance an employer of choice. We embrace diversity, believe in, recognize and celebrate our people. Our employee engagement scores are amongst the highest in the industry and we were certified a Great Place to Work in 2017. We offer a variety of flexible work schedules and shared incentives built around corporate goals and objectives. Our comprehensive benefits plan includes up to 20 PTO days a year for first year team members, as well as annual time off for charitable activity. We want innovative team members who are eager to excel to join our team.
Topa Insurance Company is currently recruiting for a Regulatory Compliance – Senior Manager who will provide oversight, management and guidance to ensure the company's insurance operations are conducted in compliance with company policies/guidelines and legal/regulatory requirements. Additionally, this position is responsible for building and maintaining a proactive compliance program to identify and resolve potential compliance exposures in order to enhance Topa's reputation in the regulatory arena and minimize regulatory risk. Key compliance functions including consumer complaint handling, market conduct exam coordination, regulatory inquiries, compliance audit function, producer compliance, and regulatory research.
In addition to managing the compliance audit function, the ideal candidate will be responsible for:
- Responds to regulatory inquiries and administrative actions related to company policies and procedures and compliance with state-specific regulations, including management of market conduct examinations.
- Partners with internal departments to establish action plans for corrective action of examination criticisms and/or audit findings; implements action plans and monitoring activities.
- Responsible for tracking, distributing, researching and responding to the Department of Insurance, the Better Business Bureau, and direct written consumer complaints.
- Development and maintenance of the Line of Business Compliance Program
- Ensure company processes, programs and materials are in line with regulations.
- Assist in monitoring day-to-day insurance company operations to ensure compliance with applicable laws, rules, and regulations.
- Respond to line of business regulatory inquiries.
- Utilize experience with commercial products and back office operations to provide compliance guidance and practical solutions to business partners.
- Analyzes compliance risks and exposures both internal and external to Topa; prioritizes and develops an internal audit plan to assess compliance risks
- Manages the Agency/Broker/Producer compliance with state regulations.
- Manages relationships with various compliance vendors including, Kaplan Financial, National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR), Wolters Kluwer, ODEN, and ceu.com.
- Assist with new product development and associated regulatory filings
- Utilize compliance trends and data to identify business processes for review.
- Conducts research into laws and regulations, complete reviews, make recommendations, and oversee implementation of changes as necessary.
- Track and assess new and emerging legislation for the impact on the Company’s business, review business and industry trends to identify existing or emerging compliance issues.
- Develop and maintain a Regulatory Change Management process (evaluate, disseminate, and monitor relevant insurance laws and regulations throughout Topa).
We would like to see candidates with a Bachelor’s degree (required), Law degree (JD) preferred. , Prior experience working with or for a Department of Insurance is preferred. Strong understanding of insurance laws and regulations. 5 years professional experience in regulatory compliance within the property & casualty insurance industry.
At Topa, we are committed to equal employment opportunity and compliance with all laws and regulations pertaining to it. Our policy is to provide employment, training, compensation, promotion, and other conditions or opportunities of employment, without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, national origin, disability, genetic information, veteran or marital status, or any other characteristic protected by law.