Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
An exceptional development opportunity as a part of our Digital Portfolio initiatives to provide customer solutions that are flexible, convenient, and competitive. Our Java Application Developer will actively participate and contribute to design and delivery activities within our Digital organization. This person will perform UI and Microservices level design and development as well as development of server-side components to satisfy the needs of our Digital Insured. In collaboration across our enterprise technology organizations, these initiatives will employ advanced technologies and methodologies in order to deliver critical business functionality incrementally, while adhering to architectural principles of reuse and multi-device deployment. Proof of concepts and innovation sprints leveraging more disruptive technologies like cognitive and IoT are also part of this role.
Responsible for system programming and analysis tasks of advanced complexity within multiple systems. Acts as subject matter expert for assigned applications, systems or technologies. Responsible for transforming business specifications and requirements into organized technical activities. Responsibilities include performing complex analysis, assessment, resolution, design, configuration and programming functions at an expert level. Leads investigation and resolution efforts for critical/ high impact defects, problems, and incidents. Collaborates with project team and other key stakeholders to identify, estimate, and prioritize project and/or enhancement activities. Builds, maintains, and utilizes partnerships across the enterprise. Provides team direction, mentorship, and feedback to technical resources. Ensures work complies with Travelers standards, processes, and protocols. Applies knowledge of current industry trends and techniques to formulate solutions within the context of assigned projects and/or enhancements. Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in a related field preferred. 6 years of programming/development experience preferred.
- Cloud application development experience a plus
- Strong technical design and programming skills
- Solid understanding of HTML and CSS
- Java framework Spring or transferrable skills from similar technologies such as .NET
- Ajax experience, including developing or working with services (for example RESTful)
- SQL development experience (exposure to Oracle database development a plus)
- Solr seach engine, MongoDB and/or Node.js experience is a nice to have
- Prior experience with iterative development and agile practices is a plus
- Development of server-side components to satisfy front-end requirements
- Practice test driven development, refactoring, and continuous integration as a part of an agile development team
- Adopt and communicate new concepts, ideas, techniques and best practices
- Work closely with UX designers, business partners, business analysts and software architects to deliver highly usable software that satisfies the business needs
- Work closely with development team and architects to suggest and plan the best solution with the UX in mind
- Convert wireframes into workable prototypes for business review, design validation and usability testing
- Learn and leverage disruptive technologies like cognitive and iOt during innovation sprints to solve business problems
- Ability to adopt new concepts, ideas, techniques and best practices
- Excellent analysis and problem solving skills
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with peers, partners and customers
- Ability to develop and present technical concepts to a business audience
- Ability to rapidly learn technical and business concepts and disciplines
- Strong commitment to high quality work and timely deliverables
High School diploma or equivalent required. 3 years of programming/development experience required.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this position please CLICK HERE