Software Engineer - San Diego, CA
ROLE OVERVIEW: The Preferred Employers Group, a WR Berkley company is growing to support the needs of our business! The Software Engineer position will provide application design, development, enhancement, maintenance and testing support to one or more applications and business processes. Demonstrate a high level of expertise in using entity relationship diagramming techniques. Possess a deep understanding of vendor software integration and interactions within the domain, and a general working knowledge of inter-platform vendor software interactions. Be able to consider technical decisions as part of a multidimensional problem, balancing standards, principles, project management disciplines (time, cost, schedules), team norms (consultation, decision-making, communication) and process.
- Demonstrates a comprehensive understanding of system interfaces, and where/how that data is used, and the related data structures
- Remains abreast of industry technical trends and new development to maintain current skills and remain current with industry standards.
- Codes, tests, debugs, implements, and documents programs. Assists in the modification of application/system(s) to meet the needs of the PEI
- Possess and maintain strong expertise in the use of tools/technologies used for development, design, and testing
- Enhance software development/maintenance processes and procedures.
- Adhere to PEI development standards and quality expectations for the job family. Defines, documents and instructs on standards and design patterns/paradigms for development within a team.
- Work with the IT leadership team to implement IT strategy
- Assists in the planning of technical support infrastructure and transition from application development to support to ensure that appropriate support is available to PEI in a timely and efficient manner
- Understand desired business outcomes, translate business requirements into technical requirements and then create and express technological solution design
- Understand business workflow and automation needs of the presented solutions
- Work with the team on estimation based on implementation tasks
- Writes specifications for programs of low to moderate complexity
- Assists in resolving production support problems
- Maintain integrity of high-level design and integration architecture by participating in design reviews, code reviews, and demos.
- 3+ years - experience and/or knowledge in designing/developing, programming, and support.
- Bachelor's Degree in an Information Technology, or related discipline, which could include Computer Science, Information Systems (IS) or Management Information Systems (MIS). In lieu of a degree, related work experience will be accepted.
- A great attitude and outstanding work ethic.
- Strong deductive reasoning, critical thinking, problem solving, and prioritization skills.
- Willingness to work in a fast paced and collaborative environment.
- Demonstrated ability to be dependable, reliable and flexible.
- A strong team player - Someone who collaborates well with others to solve problems and actively incorporate input from various sources.
- Must be well organized and able to work under time constraints
- A self-motivated individual with a passion for success
- Needs to be able to determine how changes impact customer and other systems
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to quickly adapt and learn new technologies
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to design application modules that work together to produce desired product to ensure that performance guidelines are met
- Comfortable working in an Agile and other development environments
- Working knowledge of programing and scripting languages
- Willingness to influence, experiment and the ability to learn from mistakes