- Career Level
- Experienced (Non-Manager)
Over the past 12 years United Educators has committed significant resources, both staffing and financial, to creating a positive work environment where staff can do their best work every day while still maintaining a healthy work/life balance.
United Educators is investing in new technologies including Big Data, BI/Analytics, Web Applications, Cloud, Enterprise Content Management (ECM), Knowledge Management, CRM etc. to enable the growth of the organization. This is an exciting time to join the IT Team and be part of the growth journey. UE is committed to investing in its staff’s professional development and there are ample opportunities to cross train across multiple technologies and improve your skills and professional career.
We are a Ward 50 Company and have received numerous awards for best places to work including the Alliance for Workplace Excellence and Business Insurance Magazine. We were able to show that through our management and staffing practices, we have created a diverse workforce that is highly engaged where staff work hard and have fun. We have given our staff a voice (biennial Employee Surveys, Ask Janice, and Supervisor Evaluations) and we are committed to acting on the lessons we learn from the feedback staff give us. Our active social committee organizes a variety of events throughout the year that build our sense of community while creating some down time from the everyday stresses of work life. Regular wellness activities and an ongoing Weight Watchers’ At Work program have helped our staff develop healthy habits that hopefully improve their life at work and at home. Finally, our ongoing commitment to the Don Bosco school program underscores UE’s ethos of doing well by doing good.
This position will be responsible for ensuring profitable growth of book of business by appropriately evaluating the acceptability of risks.
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least 4 years of commercial lines underwriting experience; or equivalent substitute experience Professional Liability, EPL and D&O experience is desirable
- Pursuit of CPCU or RPLU designation
- Requires mastery of skills of a Level II Underwriter and exhibits the UE Values of Teamwork, Innovation & Initiative, Quality, Integrity
- Very strong interpersonal, analytical, verbal and written communication skills
- Understands significance of business objectives with the ability act in a decisive manner to achieve financial objectives
- Very good multi-tasking and negotiating ability
- Strong command of software applications including Word, Excel and rating applications
- Ability to work independently. Requires less supervisor involvement
- Ability to thrive in an atmosphere of constant change
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Evaluate applications, account loss experience, and other sources of information to determine eligibility and develop coverage and premium proposals
- Negotiate coverage terms and premiums with brokers and members to maintain renewals and attract new business
- Document underwriting thought process and meet all file documentation standards
- Quote, issue, and release binders and process policies and endorsements
- Respond to broker/member questions regarding scope of coverage, services, and company philosophy
- Develop and nurture broker and member relationships
- Travel periodically to brokers and members; coordinate conference calls
- Participate in special projects and other duties as required
- Understand and appropriately react to mid-size accounts and the occasional larger account
- Develop Strategy for Account Rounding/ Cross Selling
- Comply with underwriting authority and pass all audits both internal and external
- Demonstrate initiative and act on opportunities to create or improve on internal processes
- Work in close collaboration with other teams including Risk management, Business Development, and Claims
- Demonstrate effective consultation and partnering skills
- Attend company sponsored events and industry functions
- Mentors less experienced colleagues
** The above-referenced position summary is a guideline designed to present an overview of job duties and is not intended to be a comprehensive list of responsibilities and requirements.
Apply for Underwriter III
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly