Chief Underwriting Officer
- Career Level
Chief Underwriting Officer
Harford Mutual is seeking a Chief Underwriting Officer to lead the Commercial Business department. This position oversees the underwriting function for the company, sets and manages various commercial underwriting strategies, ensures proper staffing of trained personnel, maintains service standards, commits that file quality expectations are established and maintained, and efficient workflows are implemented.
*Relocation assistance offered*
· Assess current and future needs of Underwriting in areas of staffing, workflow, automation, and take necessary action to meet these needs.
· Ensure department’s compliance with insurance laws and regulations, establish and enforce service guidelines.
· Works effectively with other department heads to ensure achievement of corporate strategic objectives.
· Participates in corporate Strategic Planning process.
· Ensure strong agency/customer relationships through collaboration with other CBS leaders and general staff development.
· Analyzes Underwriting experience and takes appropriate action to achieve loss ratio objectives.
· Responsible for establishing and enforcing premium growth and profit goals for underwriters.
· Establish and enforce underwriting standards and policies consistent with corporate strategies.
· Responsible for the development of performance objectives and training needs of the underwriting staff, as well as conduct performance reviews.
· Provides general staff development through coaching, mentoring, training. Sets training and education expectations.
· Reviews and ensures compliance with reinsurance contracts pertaining to Underwriting operation.
· Establish and manage budget projections for the Underwriting Department.
· Participate in Product Development, Rate Review, Agency Review, and other committees, as assigned.
Ø Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree; Risk and Insurance Management degree is preferred
Ø MBA is a plus
Ø Completion of AU or CPCU programs
Ø Minimum of fifteen (15) years of commercial property and casualty underwriting experience
Ø Previous supervisory or managerial experience is required
Ø Demonstrated ability to effectively lead, coach and develop a large underwriting staff.
Ø Strong collaborating skills, and an ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team
Ø Comfortable in a fast-paced environment with frequent deadlines; high energy, self-motivated and proactive
Ø Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills
Ø Ability to multitask, and be flexible with regard to workload and assignments
The Harford Mutual Insurance Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Apply for Chief Underwriting Officer
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly