- Career Level
- Not Specified
This position supervises the daily activities and workflow of underwriters, assistants, and raters. The Underwriting Supervisor enforces adherence to service guidelines, conducts file audits, and performance evaluations, handles insurance department inquiries, works with Loss Control, Premium Audit, Claims, IT, Administrative Services, and Accounting, and provides guidance to staff on risk selection and agency management.
- Ensure compliance with service guidelines and file quality standards to meet customer expectations through the monitoring of workloads and workflow of direct reports. Take corrective action if necessary.
- Ensure staff’s compliance with insurance laws and regulations.
- Provide training, guidance and counseling to commercial business services staff.
- Review performance and workload reports, assess workflow and make recommendations to management for corrective action.
- Works with Loss Control to ensure programs and risk inspections are properly integrated in the underwriting process.
- Work with other departments to ensure quality underwriting and timely service.
- Research and respond to Insurance Departments complaints.
- Provide management with production and performance reports as directed.
- Participate in hiring and termination of personnel.
- Conduct performance evaluations.
- Working within authority, provide input and guidance into underwriting decisions and risk selection.
- Direct positive agency relationships and profitable premium growth.
- Make service calls to assigned agencies to promote products and services, explain company policy and procedures, and help resolve problems or concerns that develop between agencies and the Company.
- Performs other duties or special projects as required or as assigned by management.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in business related field, or equivalent education.
- At least 5 years of experience in commercial underwriting.
- Previous supervisory experience is a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills along with the ability to make independent, informed decisions.
- Completion of industry designation such as CPCU or AU, or willingness to expand knowledge by successful completion of such a program.
All Employees Enjoy These Company Benefits
•Health, dental, prescription drug and vision coverage
•Health Savings Account (HSA) with contribution by company
•Flexible spending accounts
•401(k) Plan with company match
•Competitive Paid Time Off
•Group term life insurance
•Long term disability
•Accidental death & dismemberment insurance
•Business casual dress code
The Harford Mutual Insurance Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Apply for Underwriting Supervisor
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly