Westfield is a great place to work and grow in your career. Our success depends upon the people we employ…individuals who embrace a winning vision of sharing knowledge, building trust and providing support for the team
Westfield provides a broad portfolio of insurance and financial services backed by knowledgeable employees and a network of more than 1,000 professional independent insurance agencies. Westfield operates in 21 states for property and casualty insurance and 31 states for surety. Westfield is one of the nation’s Top 50 Property & Casualty insurance companies, one of the top writers of farm insurance in the country, and the largest writer of contract performance bonds in Ohio.
BUILD YOUR FUTURE, WHILE PROTECTING THEIRS.
You will be challenged. Rewarded. And valued for your unique experience, background and perspective.
Join a team where hard work pays off and original thinking is celebrated. As you build your future at Westfield Insurance, you will quickly learn that protecting our customer’s future by delivering on our promise to help restore lives and rebuild businesses when the unexpected happens is at the heart of what we do. Building relationships and caring about people has been part of our culture since 1848. Be a part of a team that recognizes and appreciates those who take initiative, know how to elevate an idea and can innovate and seek opportunity in a changing world.
Mid-Market Field Manager 2 Job Summary
Salary Range: $100,222.00-$115,256.00-$130,289.00
Under general supervision and guidance, represents the company among a defined territory of agencies, with responsibility for the profitable production of Mid-Market Commercial Lines business utilizing advanced technical underwriting and sales ability. Builds strong relationships with agency Mid-Market producers. Leads the account team to analyze new business opportunities from and exposure, pricing, service, and sales perspective, engaging all resources available to them. Manages the collaboration meeting process and works with independent agents to present and close the deal. Assists Mid-Market Underwriters in retaining business, selling renewals, and delivering messages to agents. May be directed to participate in departmental projects, may serve as a direct leader of Mid-Market Underwriting Assistant.
Essential Functions (primary functions and/or reaso ns the job exists in order of importance)
1. Represents the company and is responsible for building strong relationships with Mid-Market producers and uses a sales process to build an account inventory of new business well in advance of the expiration date to achieve profit and revenue objectives.
2. Underwrites and collaborates on Commercial Mid-Market accounts, large and/or complex Commercial Lines accounts with package premium of $25,000 and above. Pre-qualifies customers and leads the account team to analyze new business opportunities from an exposure, pricing, service, and sales perspective, engaging all of the resources available to them. Evaluates exposures to loss, determines pricing, and accepts or rejects accounts on behalf of the company based on the company’s underwriting guidelines. Makes responsible decisions regarding risk acceptability and pricing. Documents details of underwriting decisions, while maintaining all supporting information, records, and data in accordance with audit standards. Utilizes all the present and future underwriting tools and resources (i.e., Reference Connect).
3. Responsible for involving other internal business partners (Claims, Risk Control, Premium Audit, Underwriting, CUO Line of Business Leaders, Billing, etc.) in the prospecting, sales, and underwriting process as well as for servicing the account. Discusses new accounts in the pipeline on a monthly basis with the Region Leader, reviews opportunity and best approach for account. Establishes an underwriting relationship with policyholders.
4. Acts as the Account Steward in the first year of a new policy, making sure that we live up to the commitments on the account. Responsible for standard scheduled periodic communication with the buyer to make sure we are meeting their services expectations. Provides a warm handoff to the underwriter after the first year renewal, and thereafter takes a collaborative vested interest in the renewal of all Mid-Market accounts in his/her defined territory.
5. Contributes to monthly renewal strategy discussions with underwriting and services team to develop renewal strategy for individual Mid-Market renewals. Prior to renewal, discusses the renewal strategy with the agent and assists in delivering renewal as needed. Is a subject matter expert in the department regarding large premium accounts, market conditions, and competitors.
6. Works to develop and build upon relationships with key agency personnel. Acts as the key contact for specified agencies, leading agency business planning, account inventory management, and managing the book of business to attain profit and revenue objectives.
7. Establishes and maintains effective communication externally (between agents and company) and internally (within the company) regarding underwriting procedures and practices, growth/profit goals and objectives, state/territory issues and regulations, industry activity and trends, and agency relations.
8. Reviews results of Commercial Underwriting Office audits, makes needed file/process adjustments, and applies lessons-learned moving forward.
9. As assigned, may participate in special studies and projects regarding underwriting procedures and practices. Submits recommendation s to improve department results, including coverage, pricing, or competitive issues.
10. Coordinates collaboration meetings on large, more complex accounts in accordance with company guidelines. Responsible for Pre-collaboration dialogue to work through any underwriting or service issues prior to the collaboration meeting. Completes the Mid-Market Account Summary to record key facts and details about the account in advance of the collaboration meeting. Completes and shares a post-mortem on accounts we don’t win, allowing Westfield to improve sales acumen and marketplace and competitive intelligence.
11. As directed, assists the Region Leader in the training of underwriting personnel.
12. As assigned, leads and directs Mid-Market Underwriting Assistant by monitoring work quality, customer service, and timeliness. Ensures Mid-Market Underwriting Assistant’s priorities and deadlines are clear and achieved. Performs people leadership responsibilities including employee selection, performance management, coaching, and development.
13. Travels often as needed including regular utilization of assigned fleet vehicle in order to cover assigned territory. This may involve traveling on short notice or other daily driving duties as assigned regardless of location.
Desired Qualifications/Experience/Certification/Education (in order of importance)
1. Seven years of P&C commercial underwriting or production experience, including experience handling accounts with premium size between $25,000 - $250,000 OR demonstrated successful results as a Mid-Market Underwriter.
2. Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university OR commensurate experience.
3. AU, CIC, or CPCU designation OR in the process of attaining one of these designations.
4. Account collaboration experience.
5. Demonstrated ability to consistently achieve assigned new business written premium goals that are larger than the average territory expectation.
6. Proven business and sales acumen.
7. Experience with facultative reinsurance.
8. Experience training and developing other underwriters.
9. Possesses advanced underwriting technical knowledge.
10. A valid driver’s license and a driving record that conforms to company standards.
Physical Requirements (specific to the role)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
* Ability to work effectively in an office environment for 40+ hours per week (including sitting, standing and working on a computer for extended periods of time).
* Ability to communicate effectively in a collaborative work environment utilizing various technologies such as: telephone, computer, web, voice, teleconferencing, e-mail, etc.
* Ability to travel as required.
* Ability to operate an automobile within the parameters of the driving policy.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed in this role. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, responsibilities, knowledge, etc. These may be subject to change and additional functions may be assigned as needed by management.
We are an equal opportunity employer/minority/female/disability/protected veteran.
Westfield offers a Total Rewards program that focuses on compensation, benefits and wellness, and includes perks like 401(k), pension plan, annual incentive, education reimbursement, flex-time, onsite fitness center and casual dress. Work-life balance, recognition, and learning and career development are all part of a rewarding career with Westfield Insurance.
To learn more about Westfield and the opportunities available, please visit us at www.westfieldinsurance.com
Salary Range: US$100222.0 - US$130289.0 per year