Supervisor of Workers' Compensation Claims
- Career Level
- Not Specified
Assures efficient, effective activity within technical units assigned to produce optimal claim results through aggressive claim management. Works in compliance with Company philosophies, practices and procedures.
Directly supervises a unit of claims professionals. Reserve authority is no greater than $175,000.
- Supervises and coordinates activities of workers engaged in clerical or administrative support activities.
- Plans, prepares, and revises work schedules and duty assignments according to budget allotments, customer needs, problems, work-loads, and statistical forecasts.
- Verifies completeness and accuracy of subordinates' work, computations, and records.
- Conducts periodic audits of operations.
- Interviews, selects, and discharges employees after consultation with Human Resources and department head.
- Evaluates team members’ job performance and conformance to regulations, and recommends appropriate personnel action.
- Consults with manager and other personnel to resolve problems, such as employee performance, output quality and work schedules.
- Trains employees in work and company policies.
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining a high degree of the Company’s philosophy and technical practices throughout the claims operation.
- Assists in preparation and delivery of Workers’ Compensation education and training programs.
- Responsible for control and direction of all reported claims within the authority level established by the Manager.
- Approves reserves and payments within designated limitations of authority.
- Submits recommendations on those that exceed authority to assure reserve adequacy on each claim within the unit.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED). Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university preferred.
Requires a minimum of 4-6 years examining experience. Strong understanding of Workers’ Compensation claims principles and application. Strong foundation of business acumen. Basic understanding of personnel and performance strategies. IEA Certificate, WCCP Accreditation preferred.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills, time management and organizational skills. Requires a high level of attention to detail. Team oriented and a sense of urgency for execution. Ability to effectively present information to top management and/or public groups Ability to apply principles of logical to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems.