Underwriter Supervisor; Trucking - Retail
- Career Level
IAT has an immediate need for a Supervisor, Underwriting within our Trucking-Retail business with an emphasis in transportation (trucking) risks. The Supervisor is responsible for the supervision of a team of Underwriters in addition to underwriting casualty-property products with an assigned agency force consisting of 200 to 400 policies and $2,250,000 to $4,000,000 premium volume. This role is expected to provide leadership and direction to employees according to established company policy along with minimize risk exposure using experience, sound judgment and available personnel or written resources to fairly evaluate, accurately price, implement decisions and monitor results of risk taking in a timely manner consistent with company goals. This role is located in Naperville, Illinois
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provides immediate leadership and supervision to a unit or group of employees, assigning tasks, checking work at frequent intervals, and maintaining schedules in accordance with company policy.
- Perform key human resource tasks such as performance management, salary planning, coaching, and career development.
- A portion of time is normally spent performing individual tasks related to the unit or sub-unit. Review and analyze underwriting files, using judgment and experience as primary criteria, to accept new business or continue renewals within established authority level.
- Review and analyze all documents within or associated with the underwriting file to establish accuracy in identification and minimizing risk of exposure, utilizing change requests, claim information, loss control and outside databases to identify changes in exposure to risk.
- Relate variances from acceptable standards to agents, claim department and the underwriting file.
- Monitor progress of compliance with recommended loss mitigation.
- Review, evaluate and determine account premium levels using sound judgment consistent with established company premium modification plans within authority limits.
- Read, evaluate and interpret contracts and policies to determine exposures providing guidance and clarification to others consistent with experience.
- Provide clarification and verification of coverage to the Claims Department consistent with experience.
- Assess agency activity; provide clarification to agency personnel about company’s position in annual visits to assigned agencies consistent with experience.
- Perform other tasks as needed.
- Bachelors’ degree in Risk Management, Finance, Mathematics, Business or related with at least 5 years-experience in commercial Insurance (Masters’ degree in Risk Management, Finance, Mathematics, Business preferred).
- Experience must include at least 3 years of supervisory experience.
- Advanced knowledge of Insurance Industry (transportation insurance preferred).
- Must possess the ability to appropriately apply loss development and advanced loss analysis concepts to achieve optimal pricing of a risk.
- Must possess the ability to creatively utilize coverage features, deductibles, or reinsurance on individual risks to achieve company objectives.
- CPCU, ARM, or AU industry designations preferred.
- INS21, 22 and 23 or equivalent is a plus.
- Advanced knowledge of underwriting decisions for risks in a range of complex or unfamiliar situations.
- Requires strong math aptitude, excellent verbal and written communication, interpersonal and negotiating skills.
- Must possess knowledge of various computer programs, internet based programs, and PC literate in the use of spreadsheets.
- To qualify, applicants must be authorized to work in the United States and must not require VISA sponsorship, now or in the future, for employment purposes.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing. We participate in E-Verify.