Casualty Claim Examiner
- Career Level
- Experienced (Non-Manager)
Direct and supervises the handling of casualty claims that have potentially large exposures and/or complex coverage issues. Will handle commercial general liability and could handle pollution liability and professional liability. Additionally, they will handle litigated files.
1. Identify all exposures, establish accurate and timely reserves and monitor those reserves as claim matures.
2. Direct the investigation and settlement of claims in litigation which may involve coverage issues.
3. Maintains electronic records that accurately and thoroughly document all file handling activity.
4. Serve as company representative at mediations, some travel required.
5. May be called upon to perform additional duties as directed.
Minimum Experience / Education:
• 8 years or more claims handling experience preferred.
• High school degree or equivalent; college degree preferred.
• Insurance designation preferred. AIC, SCLA, CPCU
• Basic computer skills and Microsoft applications.
In states where required, obtains and maintains necessary adjuster licensing.
Communication: Professional oral and written communication skills are critical to the success of this position. All claims service must be handled with tact, diplomacy and courtesy at all times. Must create documents that are technically correct and in compliance with State Auto’s guidelines.
Collaboration: Must be able to collaborate and develop strong team relationships with associates from within and outside the Claims Department.
Technical Knowledge: Must have a comprehensive knowledge and understanding of insurance policies, including personal and commercial auto policies and various commercial general liability policies. Must have the ability to read and understand complex documents such as medical reports, contracts and other legal documents.
State Auto Values: Must be willing to work by the "values" established by State Auto
State Auto offers a competitive salary, an annual bonus program, an excellent benefit program including medical, dental, vision and prescription insurance coverage, life insurance, matching 401(k) plan, flexible spending accounts, tuition assistance, and a stock purchase plan.
State Auto is committed to the principal of equal employment opportunity for all associates and applicants and to providing associates with a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions (hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, training and work assignments) are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. State Auto will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
State Auto is a smoke-free work environment. We utilize drug screening and background checks as conditions of employment. For all exempt positions we also obtain motor vehicle reports (MVR s).
State Auto will not accept candidates from third-party recruiters without a signed agreement with State Auto.