Farm & Ranch Claims Adjuster
- Career Level
- Experienced (Non-Manager)
Handles simple to complex Farm & Ranch Claims involving coverage, liability issues, and small to moderate damages. You should have previous experience scoping and estimating simple to significant structural damages to property. Some Farm Auto & Casualty adjusting included in this role.
1. Determines policy status and coverage; reviews appropriate policies for coverage, limits and deductibles; immediately notify supervisor of any claim that may be outside of assigned scope of handling level or authority.
2. Makes prompt contact with insureds, claimants and witnesses involved in the loss or accident.
3. Conducts investigation necessary to determine liability, including recorded statements. Assigns necessary inspections of damages or scene. Reviews any estimates or receipts for consistency with description of loss as well as appropriate scope and pricing. Identifies any legal liability issues and consults with supervisor.
4. Ensures regular and timely follow-up and brings claims to prompt and appropriate conclusion with a strong customer service focus.
5. Evaluate and settle bodily injury, liability or structural claims.
6. Ensure timely and accurate documentation of claim file.
8. Negotiates Total Loss claims for farm equipment to conclusion
Minimum Experience / Education:
• 2-years or more Farm/Ranch claims handling experience preferred.
• Multi Line claim handling experience preferred
• High school degree or equivalent; college degree preferred.
• Insurance designation preferred.
• Basic computer skills and Microsoft applications.
In states where required, obtains and maintains necessary adjuster licensing.
Communication: Professional oral and written communication skills are critical to the success of this position. All claims service must be handled with tact, diplomacy and courtesy at all times. Must create documents that are technically correct and in compliance with State Auto’s guidelines.
Collaboration: Must be able to collaborate and develop strong team relationships with associates from within and outside the Claims Department.
Technical Knowledge: Must have a comprehensive knowledge and understanding of insurance policies, including personal and commercial auto or property policies and various commercial general liability policies. Must have the ability to read and understand complex documents such as medical reports, contracts and other legal documents.
State Auto Values: Must be willing to work by the "values" established by State Auto.
State Auto offers a competitive salary, an annual bonus program, an excellent benefit program including medical, dental, vision and prescription insurance coverage, life insurance, matching 401(k) plan, flexible spending accounts, tuition assistance, and a stock purchase plan.
State Auto is committed to the principal of equal employment opportunity for all associates and applicants and to providing associates with a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions (hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, training and work assignments) are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. State Auto will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
State Auto is a smoke-free work environment. We utilize drug screening and background checks as conditions of employment. For all exempt positions we also obtain motor vehicle reports (MVR s).
State Auto will not accept candidates from third-party recruiters without a signed agreement with State Auto.