Commercial Liability Claims Examiner
- Career Level
- Experienced (Non-Manager)
Basic Function and Scope:
Under limited supervision, will conduct in-house desk investigations on automobile accident claims and general liability claims involving bodily injury, property damage, and total losses; and will make recommendations for resolution, and litigation management as appropriate. Has contact with agents, claimants, and policy holders.
- Responsible for completing coverage analysis and applying coverage appropriately to the loss.
- Responsible for conducting claim investigations by utilizing appropriate techniques and strategic contact with appropriate parties.
- Responsible for completing evaluations for liability and damage settlements on first and third party auto and general liability bodily injury and property damage claims.
- Responsible for assigning independent adjusters and providing direction to independent adjusters.
- Responsible for evaluating the need for defense counsel. Manage litigation by establishing litigation plans and budgets with defense counsel. Attend mediation, arbitration and trials as needed.
- Responsible for establishing, reviewing and maintaining appropriate loss and expense reserves.
- Responsible for identifying recovery potential through subrogation and/or salvage opportunities and pursuit of the same.
- Reviews outside vendor bills for payment, contacts vendors to discuss billing questions.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred and / or relevant claims handling experience with at least 5 years experience of progressive responsibility in a similar claims role (commercial auto and general liability with litigation handling experience preferred).
- Demonstrates strong written and oral communications skills.
- Ability to draft communications that are clear, concise, complete and professional.
- Negotiation skills mandatory, and ability to interact with all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrates organizational skills while working on multiple projects.
- Working knowledge of Excel, Word, and general computer skills.