Claims Unit Manager - Trucking
- Career Level
- Not Specified
Job Description: Unit Manager candidate will be supervising a team handling commercial auto/trucking claims in multiple jurisdictions. Manages the adjusting staff within the unit, providing technical direction in claims and facilitating the reporting to internal and external customers, including carriers, reinsurers, self-insureds, brokers and agents. Provides technical guidance on claims files, and ensures that the staff is well trained and capable of handling claims assigned to them. Must be able to manage a team of 6 or more adjusters handling a case load of approximately 150 commercial auto claims each, including high complexity Bodily Injury and litigated claims. Also includes timely and appropriate reserve analysis and report completion. All file handling must be within state statutes, Client Claims Handling Guidelines and NARS Best Practices.
- Ability to evaluate complex coverage scenarios
- Advance level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential information
- Advance level of interpersonal skills to handle negotiations and litigation management for significant work with attorneys on first and third party claims.
- Requires advanced ability to work independently.
- Requires an advanced level of organization and time management skills.
- Must possess advanced level written and verbal communication skills for significant reporting requirements. Assists the VP of Claims in managing quality of work product of the assigned units to drive technical excellence by specialty across geographies.
- Administers staff/resources to guarantee profitability in each of the programs managed.
- Maintains and communicates legislative actions, court decisions, industry trends and developments in claims.
- Works with the quality assurance team to measure and analyze claim results and makes recommendations to the VP of Claims on process and workflow improvements, or other initiatives to drive results.
- Monitors customer satisfaction in an effort to drive action plans for improvement.
- Motivates and develops staff to guarantee success in any program or work that comes to the organization.
- Provides informational assistance to MGAs and carrier partners in any programs handled in the unit. Actively participates in leadership, management, roundtable, claim review and training programs and contributes to their interactions and outcomes.
- Assists the VP of Claims in establishing and managing to performance measures including cycle times, closure rates, average paid, expense paid, reserve accuracy, and other areas relevant to each program managed.
- Performs other duties as assigned that may include, but are not limited to providing audit support, research marketing or back up support for other areas within the organization.
Education / Licensing:
- BS in management preferred.
- Florida All-lines adjuster license
- Minimum of 10 years specialized claims adjusting experience.
- Minimum of 3 years supervisory experience.
- Must have a high level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations and information.
- Must have negotiation skills for heavy work on first and third party claims.
- Must be able to work independently and possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Advanced knowledge of a variety of computer software applications in word processing, spreadsheets, database and presentation software. (Microsoft Office platform including MS Word/7, Excel and Outlook.)
- Candidate must have a valid license for their state of domicile if that state requires a license.
- Valid licenses in additional jurisdictions preferred.
- Candidate will be required to obtain licensing in all states requiring licensing after hire.
- Candidates may ultimately be handling claims in multiple states.